Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade times

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Upgrade times

So my lappy was on Mint 17.1 and this pc is on W7 (dual boot).
So I thought for a laugh I would see how long each took.
So started this pc booting to win7, ran the update said "10s" then it will show gumph.
Booted the lappy up, updated the update manager to get the upgrade. Started the upgrade and left it.
40 min later, I returned.
W7 pc, still showing "Working on it" WHAT ????Huh
Lappy finished, "please reboot". Rebooted lappy, all fine Mint 17.2 running.
So tortoise & hare race here. The pc is an 8 core AMD, with 8Gb and a PRE-DOWNLOADED OS. The lappy is a CELERON dual core, with 2Gb and an on-line upgrade.
What I thought would have been at least at a 1st reboot is still "Working on it".
Time to kill the upgrade I think and delete it.
8 REPLIES 8
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 64

Re: Upgrade times

As you are a "linux geek"    Wink  and use windows as a secondary system... I would strongly advise you to leave Windows 10 well alone....  It has been "dumbed down" with so many of the Win 7 features now missing, that it is only suitable for those kids you see on the Microsoft Win 10 advert.......  Huh
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Ah but I haven't seen the advert 😉
I only use it for Steam game playing, and only since a lot of the FREE games I have don't run under Steam on Linux. As I said I have now hidden the "important update" icon and will stay on W7 till they EOL it (and probably beyond as long as the games still work)
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Mint 17.1 ?
Any  reason you are not on 17.2 ?
just curious.
Smiley
We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 64

He is, now ! ! ... ( read his post again ! !    Roll_eyes  ) Wink
HairyMcbiker
All Star

It's my lappy, I don't use it often, but will next week in Yorkshire, so I was just updating it.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: shutter
He is, now ! ! ... ( read his post again ! !    Roll_eyes  ) Wink
Apologies,
my memory gets worse by the day.
Smiley Smiley
We are born into history and history is born into us.
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
As you are a "linux geek"    Wink  and use windows as a secondary system... I would strongly advise you to leave Windows 10 well alone....  It has been "dumbed down" with so many of the Win 7 features now missing, that it is only suitable for those kids you see on the Microsoft Win 10 advert.......   Huh

That's odd; I've read Win10 on the desktop has gained features Linux uses have been familiar with for years (virtual desktops, transparent terminal, even a Linux-style package manager).
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I only had a quick look at that article but quickly formed the opinion it is a move to forcing users to install from their "selected software" (an extension of "windows certified"?).
The main problem for me, though, is the reduction in flexibility especially the start menu and task bar (assuming you consider it had some with Win 7 Roll_eyes ). I find the "mobile interface" tiling a waste of space (literally) made worse by adding tiles for "pinned" items (limited to one per app, unless I've missed something obscure) - my desktop (for historical reasons) only has a couple of icons (none with Linux) as I prefer the ease of accessing the start menu to hiding windows to get to the desktop.
I never use automated updates as I want to control "when" and "what". I only run malware/av programs "on demand" (they are, after all, "fully untested" programs!) - the last identified "infection" was from a floppy written at school (by my son) in the the late 1980's - and I do not open e-mails on selection, but save and inspect any "suspicious" items.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.