cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Router, or add TP Link Extenders???

timfibre
Dabbler

Upgrade Router, or add TP Link Extenders???

Hi All.
I am using a BT HH3 at the moment, which is working fine with my FTTC. I am going to be adding a Samsung 1TB external HDD via the USB for file sharing on my home network.
But I also want to get a better (faster) signal for the PS3 and AV receiver that I am looking at purchasing in the future, I was going to do this by getting a TP Link extending kit to have two ethernet sockets next to the TV, PS3 ect.
My question is. Would it be better to upgrade the router to a TP Link N600 TDW-8980 instead of the extender kit?? As this router would be a media server and hopefully give a better signal than the BT HH3. As well, being able to link tho the PS3 via wi-fi.
The HH3 does not have DLAN.
Any suggestions please.  Smiley
2 REPLIES 2
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Upgrade Router, or add TP Link Extenders???

A cheap way of multiplying a single ethernet socket to multiple sockets is to add on a 5 port switch.
This will give you four ports at a single location for about £6.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Upgrade Router, or add TP Link Extenders???

if your in a built up area chances are your going to have problems with wifi regardless of which router you choose, wired is always better and as foxy suggests a cheap switch would be favourite, and since your planning on having a settop box just get one with a usb port on it and share the drive across the network rather than getting a new router.
if your actually looking for a new router then there are better options than the tplink n600 which have dlna server options that actually work to share the usb connected device(s) across the network
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you