Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Windows...

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Updating Windows...

Trust you all had a nice Xmas...
The title should really have said 'Updating XP' as I'm one of those old foggies still running XP. 
My main PC (a Dell 9150) came with XP ME installed and a couple of other PC's I have lying around have XP PRO installed.  None of these machines have downloaded any updates from Microsoft for months, so the obvious question is has Microsoft stopped providing updates?  I did read somewhere that MS were going to continue support for XP for a while yet, maybe this support does not include updates?
Before anyone says  'get a life'  - update to a newer OS.  I've used Vista and the kid's laptops have W7/W8 installed but I still prefer XP, I've used it since it came out and I just feel at home with it,,,
11 REPLIES 11
CX
Grafter

Re: Updating Windows...

If you look at CPU usage, is it high? I've had to turn off Windows Update on our last XP machine, because since it updated a few months ago it (the WU service) just sits eating 100% CPU (not pleasant on a single core Athlon XP 2200+). It seems that many people are having this problem.
I don't know if it would ever determine which updates were required if it was left to it, but it certainly didn't stop after half an hour.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

CX - I was just checking CP usage as you posted!
This machine will try to update for hours if I let it.  It obviously uses CPU cycles but nothing serious - just adds to the overall load if I'm surfing and listening to tunes on YouTube!  I've always had automatic updates turned off and I do manual updates weekly - well used to.
My last MS update on this machine was on the 24th. Sepetmber 2013 - nothing since...
I read on the 'net that MS will provide updates 'till mid 2014 and my update history tells me I've been dowloading updates every month so there should be some more lurking somewhere...
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

To anyone who has this problem, the remedy is in this link:http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/windows-xp-update-locks-machines-svchost-redlined-100-fix-it-kb-2879017-230733 -and apparently there is another patch (kb2898785) for December, but I haven't needed it.
Know this works - I've run it on 3 machines, all of which were exhibiting the 100% CPU usage.
John
PowerLee
Pro

I managed to update 2 x Windows XP drives earlier on my old HP laptop, I still need XP drives for a couple of programs that wont even install on Windows 7.
Took age's to update XP & a few attempts due to the machine locking up a few times with the 100% CPU usage but got there in the end.
Exact same laptop with the Windows 7 drive is run's so much faster  Shocked
MrT
Grafter

The answer with the latest (December 2013) Cumulative update for Internet Explorer can be found at  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/bulletin/ms13-097
Just download and run the version relevant to your versions of Windows and Internet Explorer. Updates should work again.  Smiley
colintivy
Rising Star

My old XP Pro has joined the club!  It sort of tries to do what I want but the HD apparently going flat out, only allows some occasional commands to do things but they never seem to get to a useable state. I know that it sometimes takes a bit of time to work but this is ridiculous! Even just  logging off has taken nearly 10 minutes. I do have Window update enabled. Does anyone know which update has caused this trouble?
I note that my posting has just reached the centipede with a wooden leg status! (Written on my Thinkpad laptop).
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think I fixed the 100% CPU problem by disabling automatic updates, rebooting, installing all updates from the microsoft update website, and afterwards turning automatic updates back on.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Quote from: colintivy
My old XP Pro has joined the club!  It sort of tries to do what I want but the HD apparently going flat out, only allows some occasional commands to do things but they never seem to get to a useable state. I know that it sometimes takes a bit of time to work but this is ridiculous! Even just  logging off has taken nearly 10 minutes. I do have Window update enabled. Does anyone know which update has caused this trouble?
I note that my posting has just reached the centipede with a wooden leg status! (Written on my Thinkpad laptop).

Colin, details and resolution are in the link in my post (#3)
John
MrT
Grafter

Quote from: jab1
Colin, details and resolution are in the link in my post (#3)

Or in my post #5 for latest update of Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer - this apparently fixes a bug in the Windows Update process which then allows normal updates to take place.
colintivy
Rising Star

@MrT/jab1
Thanks to both. I only hope that it will not take too long to get the fix installed. Will report progress or lack of it in due course!!!
(First Millenium Post)
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: PNnewbie
I read on the 'net that MS will provide updates 'till mid 2014 ...

Extended Support for XP ends 08/04/2014.