ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Re: Updating Win 7 to Win 10

This would stop the nag to update to 10

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Regards Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Mike. Have run your program now to disable the Win 10 upgrade. Only time will confirm that it has had the desired effect

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Hi penneck , the software is developed by Steve Gibson., it will certainly have the desired effect.

regards Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

An update for Mike - I have rebooted, and the 4-squares symbol in the bottom righthand corner of the screen has gone, so your solution has worked. Thankyou very much

Casey
Rising Star

"Hi penneck , the software is developed by Steve Gibson., it will certainly have the desired effect."

I agree - that guy is the original "knows his [-Censored-]" guy!

Lots of tiny little tester/fixer programs.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

your very welcome :smiley penneck  Smiley

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Casey wrote:

I agree - that guy is the original "knows his [-Censored-]" guy!

Lips_are_sealed

christmas
Aspiring Pro

I had the pesky Windows Update attempt to automatically install Windows 10 without my permission, it took one of Microsoft's Tech Support 60mins to give me back my computer, 30 mins to disable the pesky Windows 10 update and 30 mins getting an ear bashing from moi.

I noticed in Windows Updates that when Installed Updates are listed it is possible to select one and an Uninstall button appears, why would that not work as a solution?

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Have just taken a look at the Installed Updates list, and it includes KB3035583 which was mentioned early in this chain of posts, so I guess I could Uninstall it. However, I don't seem to have a problem at the moment so I will leave alone.

Having written that, thanks for the suggestion (I wouldn't have known about this particular process if you hadn't mentioned it in a bit of detail). However, the earlier method seems to have done the job.

Regards to all

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

First thing to do is to see if you have already done the install of that KB 3035583... it might appear on your "View Update History". 

Highlight/Select it and "uninstall" it...

That may be all you need.... BUT... you must make sure you "hide" it the next time you get updates...

Set your preferences to "download, but let me choose which updates to install"..

If that doesn`t stop it... have a look at this...

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-7-to-10-gwx-how-to-remove.html

I don`t get any nag screens or icons now...... Smiley

EDIT EDIT EDIT...

Strange... I clicked on the title and "this" was the post I was sent to... ( presumed it was "the latests post" )

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

Unfortunately shutter, your warning may have come too late (or is it?). I am already getting the "nag" screens.

Is there a way to stop them?

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

christmas
Aspiring Pro

As stated before my Desktop was taken over by aliens wishing to install Windows 10, which I declined at Licence Agreement stage. After Microsoft Tech Support did some fiddling about the Windows 10 logo and pop ups disappeared, and checking Windows updates it stated there were no new updates.

But now it's showing 1 failed update (unknown error 80004004-40019)....which is Widows 10 and asking if I want to try again...the latest update check was earlier this morning.

Could it be in the background Windows 10 is still attempting to alter my computer but what was done by Tech Support prevents it being installed?

I noticed that the Windows 10 upgrade is a mere 2,887.7MB, gulp! 

christmas
Aspiring Pro

Currently the most popular/unpopular news story on the BBC News website begins....

Microsoft has faced criticism for changing the pop-up box encouraging Windows users to upgrade to Windows 10.

Clicking the red cross on the right hand corner of the pop-up box now activates the upgrade instead of closing the box.

Brad Chacos, senior editor at the PC World website, described it as a "nasty trick".

christmas
Aspiring Pro

The upgrade could still be cancelled, when the scheduled time for it to begin appeared, Microsoft said

In my case, it happened without warning....what I suspect is that Microsoft assume someone will be at the computer to cancel the Windows 10 upgrade but if there is no one present to give a response like it's change to the pop up it automatically attempt to install Windows 10 without permission.

By the way looking at the Task Manager it would seem GWX.exe is still working away in the background and has not been removed by Microsoft Technical Support.

When they boast 100m people have installed Windows 10 do they actually mean Microsoft forcibly installed it?