Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Win 7 to Win 10

FIXED
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Updating Win 7 to Win 10

Have just gone through with updating Win 7 to Win 10. I'm still trying it to see if 10 is better than 7, so I need a bit of patience. It may just be a case of getting used to it.

However, one of the things that happened during the installation was that Spybot 1.6.2 got moved to the Windows.old folder, so I installed the latest free Spybot (2.4). I then ran the new Spybot, just to see how that differs from 1.6.2, and I get the feeling the first scan may have deleted some files from Windows.old. Have I got good grounds to worry? Will I now have problems if I decide to go back to Win 7?

Thanks for any help

27 REPLIES 27
FreddieFlint
Grafter

Re: Updating Win 7 to Win 10

Was it the old Spybot files that were removed?

Anyway, IMHO, if you are a fan of Win7 then 10 won't be a problem. It's what Win8 should have been Smiley

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I liked Win 7. I would prefer that when MS create a new operating system, the changes are in the background, so that what you see and what you do doesn't really change. Having to relearn how to use something that was working perfectly well is a bit irritating (my humble opinion too). I have in mind Internet Explorer and its replacement (Edge?) in Win 10. Now some people may say that isn't a change of OS just an update, but that is their humble opinion, and both they and I are entitled to have one of those. To me its a bit like changing from driving a Morris Minor to a Ferrari - the performance is tremendously different, but you still steer them the same way.

That should cause a few agitated posts

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I am underwhelmed by Windows 10 and prefer 7.  The 'look' of 7 is more sophisticated and I liked the games in 7 which were needlessly removed.  Cortana (voice activated) is fun but the novelty soon wears off.  Other than that I don't perceive any particular improvements.

My recommendation is that you check Windows 10 is activated then revert to Windows 7.  You should now be entitled to go back to 10 for free at any time in the future - unless Microsoft changes its policy.  This works because Windows 10 activation is tied to your hardware.  Once it has activated you can, for example, wipe the hard drive, do a complete re-install and Windows will reactivate.  This is true even if you revert back to your previous version of Windows.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I'm not overly excited by Win 10 either. My early opinion is that it gives me a lot of things I don't want, in particular that 'thing' that has replaced where Win 7 gave you a list of programs you have on your pc.

I'm tempted to go back to Win 7, but I haven't found how to do that - yet. Any help/guidance on that would be gratefully received.

Thanks to all

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Fix

It should be as easy as this http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/going-back-to-windows-7-or-windows-81

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Well that looks easy enough. I will give Win 10 a week to see how I get on, then if I still feel I prefer Win 7, I will go back

My thanks to all for your help

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Going back to Windows 7 :

• It might say Go back to previous build instead of being explicit about which version you had before
  • Every time I have done it it has said 'restarting' and then stalled.  Give it a few minutes then force the power off, start the computer up again and the process will continue as normal. 
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thankyou for that warning

Casey
Rising Star

"Updating Win 7 to Win 10"...

I think the word "upgrading needs to be replaced with "downgrading".
Ricz

You don't have to use Edge as there is still a copy of Internet Explorer in the programme files if you look on your hard drive you can copy and drop the icon onto your desktop or startup folder, you can then use both or either browser and send your old favourites to Edge as well. Personally I think Edge is faster.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I had found Internet Explorer, and Edge was faster than it, but it was much slower in Win 10 than it was in Win 7. However, I found Edge harder to use, and was one of my major complaints about Win 10 (not the only major complaint).

In spite of saying I would try Win 10 for a week, I cracked this morning and reinstalled Win 7. The reinstall took about half an hour without problem, not even stalling. Now I am happy again

So thankyou to everyone, except MS (for some reason)

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I agree with the word "downgrading"

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@penneck wrote:

In spite of saying I would try Win 10 for a week, I cracked this morning and reinstalled Win 7. The reinstall took about half an hour without problem, not even stalling. Now I am happy again

Don`t forget to look out for the infamous "Important Update".... KB3035583   in your download list....

Uncheck it, and then hide it... and hopefully you won`t get bothered by the "nag" screens and the "nag" Icon on the  bottom right of your screen..

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Unfortunately shutter, your warning may have come too late (or is it?). I am already getting the "nag" screens.

Is there a way to stop them?