cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UpdaterService

penneck
Aspiring Pro

UpdaterService

In the last 24 hours I have started getting a problem when shutting down my pc. I get a warning that "UpdaterService" is not responding. If I cancel it, the shutdown process seems to stop. If I use the Stop Now button, some things still work as if I haven't tried to shut down, but some things such as Internet Explorer say they cannot operate becaus the pc is shutting dow. The pc does eventually shut down, but it takes several minutes before it shows any signs that it is doing so.
I have Googled UpdaterService, but that hasn't shown up anything that might be causing this. There was an Adobe Reader update yesterday (Version 9.4), but I have uninstalled Adobe Reader and reinstalled Version 9.3. This hasn't solved the problem
My OS is Windows XP Pro with all updates. My pc is a Dell GX270.
Does anyone have any ideas what is going on, and what to do about this?
Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: UpdaterService

Open Task Manager and look under processes for all users and it should give an indication of what is running it
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Hello OldJim
I have looked at Task Manager. System Idle Processes is running at 99 in the CPU column. Everything else is running at 00
Does that help?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

No - you need to look for the specific process - updater service - and find out what is running it.
If the only one which may fit is Google close the process manually and then restart the computer and see if the problem is still there
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Adobe Reader 9.3 is out of date, 10.1.1 is the current version, although the 9.4.7 security update to 9.4 was released recently.
Unfortunately "UpdaterService" is a rather generic name, perhaps installing Autoruns from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb963902 would help since it will give the path of whatever it is.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I hope I'm not jumping the gun, but it seems that what ejs suggested I loaded may have solved the problem. It didn't give me any clues as to what was calling up UpdaterService, but having run it, I have shut down my pc several times, and it didn't bring the UpdaterService once.
Thankyou to both of you
Regards and happy Christmas
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Since Autoruns doesn't change anything unless you start unticking boxes, I guess the UpdaterService fixed itself.