cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update problems/Vista

Not applicable

Update problems/Vista

Please can someone tell me what to do with an update problem in Vista?
I have it set to automatic and today duly downloaded the latest updates (about 9 I think).
When I restarted the machine the desktop had reverted to classic view and Vista setting was not there. Also there was a brief message about not being able to connect to Windows service and references to notification area.
I did a system restore and all went well.  Unfortunately, down the updates came and once again the same thing happened.
Currently I have done another system restore, and set automatic updates to notify me before downloading so all is OK for now.
Trouble is, I don't know which of them caused the problem although I vaguely suspect it was number 4 - malicious software removal tool as when it downloaded the computer briefly froze and was a bit 'jumpy'.
Anyone seen this and if so, what can be done as I want to make sure that the computer is fully up to date?
3 REPLIES 3
thisoldman
Grafter

Re: Update problems/Vista

good  afternoon dear  i dont use v  but you could switch off automatic setting and go to one of the manual settings. I think i use notify me but let me select which ones to d/l. You could d/l each one at a time and see which causes probs.  malic removal tool does take a  long time to d/l
hope this helps
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: poppy
I vaguely suspect it was number 4 - malicious software removal tool

Actually the least likely suspect. That update is downloaded then scans your PC in detail, hence the delay.
As suggested, doing them one at a time manually should identify the suspect, or may just work OK!
Not applicable

It turned out to be KB981322 and I see (from googling it) that I am not the only one who has had this problem (all versions).
Have hidden the update and will have to take my chances without it.