cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual Security Alert - and the only way to get rid of it was to shut down windows

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Unusual Security Alert - and the only way to get rid of it was to shut down windows

2018-01-30_140422.jpgIt also included a continuous voice over

What the heck was this about as my Firewall hadn't blocked anything neither has the router firewall

12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Re: Unusual Security Alert - and the only way to get rid of it was to shut down windows

I should have checked before posting https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/11843-suspicious-connection-scam

So now to check where it came from

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Unusual Security Alert - and the only way to get rid of it was to shut down windows

It's a scam / adware / virus type thing.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Oldjim

Sure you know this but I would get any personal details off the computer and backed up ASAP. Don't trust any on-line backup companies either. For me it would be mainly documents and photos.

Also once that is done, you could do the brute force approach of rebuilding the OS. Yes may be over the top but I am not sure I would be confident AV would totally remove it.

Yes I suppose I am paranoid. Wink

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alex wrote:

Yes I suppose I am paranoid. Wink

@Alex, everyone that talks about you behind your back says that about you too. Grin

Oldjim
Resting Legend

@Alex

That seems rather excessive given that Kaspersky didn't find anything and the only things which Malware Bytes found were a few rogue registry entries now removed - see pic

2018-01-30_161755.jpg

The odd bit is that there is nothing in the browsing history

I have cleared the cache and a few tracking cookies from optimizely.com

Will now see if it comes back as this is the first time I had it and it was just after I downloaded a file from either http://www.moddb.com or https://community.pcgamingwiki.com (it was the same file)

Alex
Community Veteran

I see, first prority for you is to get anything personal backed up.

Yes sounds obvious but I was being a bit sarcastic to a post on here, when I realised I hadn’t been doing it myself.

Burnt a Blu-Ray with free software with around 12Gb of photos. Fine, I am going to do some more copies.

Leave another copy at a few locations, I will never trust on-line backup companies ever again. What if they go bankrupt? Their servers go offline even though your account is in good standing?

For the money (I think I paid £80 for my BD burner), single layer discs are not too much.

Do the job yourself.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Kaspersky not finding malware which probably came from russia in the first place... anyone else see the irony here?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Unlike you I run regular backups Grin

Oldjim
Resting Legend

@7up since the scam is USA based I rather doubt it has anything to do with Russia

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@7up wrote:

Kaspersky not finding malware which probably came from russia in the first place... anyone else see the irony here?

Nope. Are you suggesting that Kaspersky is programmed to let through any malware coming from Russia? More irrational paranoia than irony?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran

For reasons I can't go into on here, it seriously wouldn't surprise me if a malware author paid off a virus company to not pick that type up.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

All that has happened is that you have visited a 'bad' web site.  There is nothing on your computer for Kaspersky to find.  Had you closed the web browser the message would have gone away - but the web page may have been crafted so as to prevent you doing that easily.  You could terminate your web browser through Task Manager but you may then need to take measures to prevent the browser from restoring your previously open web pages when you start it up again.  The easiest way to do that is to find a benign URL and double click to open that web page.

I'm surprised you have not encountered one of these before.  It's all a "Technical Support" scam.