Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unresposive script

colintivy
Rising Star

Unresposive script

New problem chaps.
XP Pro now keeps on displaying "Warning Unresponsive script" when online. The script title is :- Chrome:// crossrider app16912/content/crossrider api.js225. Choices are "Continue" or " Stop" Neither seems to do anything but remove the Warning sometimes.
Some time ago I accidentally installed Chrome by failing to untick a box on a Google window. I uninstalled it but it seems to have left some detritus around. I have searched for any Chrome files or folders and see quite a lot of such stating with "Chrome". Would it be necessary to delete every one of these folders etc., to clear it? I do not see one as described above.
Colin.
5 REPLIES 5
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Unresposive script

A virus maybe?  Something that is mistakenly trying to install itself onto Chrome although Chrome is gone.  Information about Crossrider is here http://crossrider.com/pages/faq but I suppose anyone might try to use this for good or ill.  Have you run a scan with your security software lately?
kmilburn
Grafter

By any chance are you using Firefox.
If so,  the Chome reference is nothing to do with Googles browser,  but internals of firefox itself, where
[quote=https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Chrome]chrome is the entirety of entities making up the user interface of a specific application or extension
It's likely that one of the plugins you have installed has been developed using Crossrider,  and for some reason, one of it's scripts is having problems.
The main thing to do is determine which plugin is causing the problem,  try disabling all the plugins and reenable them one by one until the problem reappears!

colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks RR,
System checked daily and I ran a full system scan before lunch (all 2 hrs worth on Avast) zero infections.
@ kmilburn,
I live & learn, yes I do use Firefox (not updated to 16.1 yet, had a problem with CNET Tracker which is another query I will raise later). The distinction between Chrome and chrome is nicely explained. There were 29 folders/files detected by search, some associated with Avast and others with Firefox as well a lot of Windows .NET, HP deskjet, Real Player, Driver Manager, & Java rej6. So quite a lot to consider. Only 4 were Chrome. Would you think persisting with Firefox 16.1 could be a help ? I am on 15.1 now.
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Almost certainly the Google+Facebook app as detailed here...  it invokes a javascript routine (as indicated in your js225)...
http://techdows.com/2011/07/delete-google-plus-facebook-crossrider-app.html
colintivy
Rising Star

Thanks Nozzer,
That would seem logical. I do not have any activity with Facebook but nothing surprises me these days. In clearing the plugins as suggested earlier, I have got most of them reinstalled leaving out a few that I do not think are any use to me, a java one (of two) was one and I think that the problem has, so far, gone away. But i will persue the matter a bit further.
I have also sorted the issue with CNET which was explained on their website complete with a cure before updating Firefox. This was an apparent need to have an app for cbsitt to allow downloading the update. I hope that I now do have 16.1  because the display of Plus net Home is unchanged from the previous XP edition, whereas 16.1 on my Win7 laptop is slightly different in that the Home button has to be pressed before the Home page comes up. Must look into that some more.
Busy weekend ahead so I will be quiet for a time.
Roll_eyes