cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unrequested changes to Internet Explorer

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Unrequested changes to Internet Explorer

I am going through the process of installing more stuff on my new Windows 7 setup, the latest being Gom Player. However, it has caused my setup for Internet Explorer to change - I had the normal setup with it going straight to Google. The Gom installation changed that so I went to Control Panel/Internet Options and reset that to Google.co.uk. However, IE still doesn''t come up with Google. It does mention something called Conduit.com.
Is there something I can do to 'fix' this?
Thanks
25 REPLIES 25
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Unrequested changes to Internet Explorer

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Conduit maintain a veneer of respectability so you should be able to uninstall their programs via Programs in Control Panel.  A favourite trick of theirs is to change your search settings to their own and install a Search Protect program which then prevents you changing them back again.  Once you have got rid of all the Conduit stuff and any other toolbars you don't recognise, you will need to use Internet Options to reset your Home Page and Default Search Provider.
A common practise these days is to install a whole package of unwanted junk programs, including ones that claim to do backup, speed-up your computer and check for "errors".  You'll need to uninstall them all if this has happened to you.  In Windows 7 the date of installation can help to give away the identity of these programs. 
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks to both of you. I did as pwatson suggested and it seems to have cleared the problem (touch wood)..
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

In Uninstall programs.... look for "Search Protect".... probably got "new" in red next to it.... uninstall that...
Also,... remember when downloading and installing progs from the net.... always choose "Custom Install"... and you can "decline" all the "extras" that you would have ( did get) got by using the "express"  ( already chosen for you by default ). install...
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks shutter. Have checked in Uninstall - no sign of "Search Protect"
Mav
Fixes: 514

Quote from: shutter
Also,... remember when downloading and installing progs from the net.... always choose "Custom Install"... and you can "decline" all the "extras" that you would have ( did get) got by using the "express"  ( already chosen for you by default ). install...
I seem to remember there was a program a while back that was a popular utility that, even though custom was selected, the junk was still installed anyway  Angry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

yes mav , there still some who dont give the option of custom install  Sad and auto install  poop .
hence Malwarebytes  Wink is needed more .
@ penneck  if you can run" Regedit " and are fairly confident bet you will find lots of keys for conduit in there  Wink
or there are some software registry checks around
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-registry-editor.htm#Registrar-Registry-Manager-Lite-Editio...
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
penneck
Aspiring Pro

hello rongtw. Have already been in Regedit. Didn't find any mention of conduit there. Let's hope the "infection" didn't get that far. Haven't seen any sign of conduit for at least 24 hours.
Will load Malwarebytes - it seems to get a lot of good press in the PlusNet forum.
Thanks to all for the help
shutter
Community Veteran

Have you got CCleaner?.... you can clear a load of cookies and other undesirable stuff with that..... also it has a Registry cleaner.... ( the second icon on the left side ).. will shift a load of unused stuff from the reg....
penneck
Aspiring Pro

you know that saying "famous last words".... well I downloaded Malwarebytes and ran it. It found several examples of Conduit, and dealt with them. It then ran through Chkdsk (or so it appeared - I didn't see this part of the process start). Chkdsk reset loads of ids on files, amongst other things.
When it eventually finished, I could, and still can, boot up in either XP or Win 7. However, now when I boot up in Win 7 everything seems to work okay, but it complains that the Recycle Bin on Drive 😧 (the XP drive) is corrupt. If I boot up in XP everything seems to work including Spybot, Google Earth and Mailwasher, but Internet Explorer wont start at all. Admittedly, after I close Google Earth, it produces a "Google Earth has a fault and needs to shut down" message. I can live with that but I would like to get IE working again. I suppose I need to insert my XP CD in the DVD drive and run repair, but I have never had any success doing that, and I would rather not have to go back to a full XP Install.
If you are wondering how I am sending this message if XP IE isn't working, I am in Win 7 IE.  8¬)
Any suggestions please?
Thanks
shutter
Community Veteran

Have you got a "restore point" just prior to running the Malwabytes?  if so... go back to that... use CCleaner,... and see if that helps...
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I have tried System Restore on both XP and Win 7. Win 7 says there isn't a Restore Point.
XP comes back with the message " System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer and then run System Restore again". I tried again, but same result.
Any other suggestions?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: penneck
Win 7 says there isn't a Restore Point.

On an XP/Win 7 dual boot system the act of booting to XP will obliterate any Windows 7 restore points.  The only way around this is to prevent XP from seeing the partition that holds Windows 7.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

When I look at "Computer" on XP it doesn't include the Win 7 partition, although Partition Magic 8 can see it. When I boot into Win 7 it can see the XP partition.
I'm seriously thinking of running XP Repair later. I will go past the first place where the XP installation CD offers Repair to the next point it offers it. I understand it will then do an install without formatting the hard drive, and without losing any other software on it. Any reason why I shouldn't?