cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreal media archival server

seanbranagh
Grafter

Unreal media archival server

Does anyone know of open source software that will perform the same task as this?
We currently use unreal media software on Windows. Although the live and media server software is very good, the archival software has proved unreliable at best, not recording when scheduled, randomly stopping recordings etc. I personally think this is more to do with Windows than the actual software which is why I am looking for something that will perform the same task on Linux, CentOS to be exact. That is software that will connect to the unreal media server and record the video streams.
10 REPLIES 10
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Unreal media archival server

What about MythTV? Not sure if it has a plugin for this but it may.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I had a look at MythTv but it looks to be a bit more than I need. I am not even planning to have a desktop installed on the recording machine.
I have however found what appears to be the ideal solution, mplayer -dumpstream
For some reason I when I try to use mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile test.wmv mms://x.x.x.x:5119/alias
I get an error, "mplayer has crashed, this should not happen."
When I use the command in the format mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile test.wmv http://x.x.x.x:5119/alias
it does record the stream to test.wmv but it states that the stream is not seekable and the recorded file will not play in Windows media player or VLC etc.
Is this because it is a raw video file? How can I make it record a wmv file that will play? Is this something to do with codec options?
The streams to be recorded are wmv format.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Have you had a look at rtmpdump at http://rtmpdump.mplayerhq.hu/
Probably a bit hard to implement - but AFAIK the get_iplayer script uses it to convert video flash into mp4 formats, successfully.
http://www.longtailvideo.com/support/jw-player/jw-player-for-flash-v5/12535/video-delivery-rtmp-stre... might be useful background reading.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@ A Fox is Evil....... Perhaps it would be quicker to load up Windows, and do the job properly !  Roll_eyes Grin Cheesy
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Yeah, I'd have to suggest using Windows too eh Foxy?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Sean
....I personally think this is more to do with Windows than the actual software which is why I am looking for something that will perform the same task on Linux, CentOS to be exact. That is software that will connect to the unreal media server and record the video streams.

The OP is wanting to use not-Windows.  Roll_eyes

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

seanbranagh
Grafter

Yes, In my experience Windows is a complete disaster when it comes to reliability. There is just too much work and time wasted trying to keep the current Windows systems doing the simple tasks they have been asked to do do!
I have been able to record the video streams using mplayer -dumpstream but the problem is that the recorded streams are not seekable. This is a must for the application. Anyone know a way round this?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

VLC can also save streams, it's not primarily a command-line program, but there is cvlc which runs it without the GUI. The command is something like this:
cvlc "mms://x.x.x.x:5119/alias" :demux=dump :demuxdump-file=filename.wmv
If you have a recent enough mplayer, you could try different mms code (from ffmpeg) by doing:
mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile file.wmv "ffmpeg://mmst://x.x.x.x:5119/alias"
seanbranagh
Grafter

Thanks for this. I had almost given up on this project but I will give it another try.
I am on a one man mission to prove to the company that Linux will serve many of their needs better than Windows. This would be a big step but unfortunately their love for Windows and fear of Linux appears to be quite unshakeable atm. I think with Linux it is a fear of the unknown for them and they have just accepted the continous "firefighting" with the Windows systems as a way of life.
Anyone with experience with Linux knows different as we know that once we get it working it will just keep working.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

While I was in Windows just now - I checked and the single .wmv I that saved recently with VLC was indeed not seekable by Windows Media Player. I never noticed because I don't really use Windows and VLC / mplayer in Linux can seek in the files anyway.
I am going to attempt to patch VLC - comparing the dumped file with the fixed file re-muxed by Windows Media Stream Editor (part of Windows Media Encoder) - there are just some extra seeking indexes at the end of the file.
Edit: It may not be possible, since while streaming, seeking would be handled by asking the server for a different position in the video - and there wouldn't be any purpose in sending the indexes after sending all the video data. So the index has to be added after - and VLC seeks much nicer with the fixed file.