Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking the potential of Sagemcom 2704N

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Unlocking the potential of Sagemcom 2704N

It's not official updated Firmware mentioned in this thread, it's firmware that has been doctored from some original Sagemcom firmware. Unless you know what you are doing, upgrading Firmware as mentioned here has it's risks, if you don't follow or understand what is being said, you might risk bricking it. There are only 2 versions of Plusnet firmware (AFAIK), neither relate to the port forward issue. You can see which version you have on line 3 on the Helpdesk page.
The issue with Port Forwarding (covered in a few other threads - some on the Hardware board - others on Fibre & ADSL - is that the issue seems to be related to devices that show up as unknown. Login to http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html . You can get to some extra pages that will allow you to see more info and assign static IP addresses which may help with your issue (the extra pages are still somewhat less than original Sagemcom firmware Roll_eyes
If any devices remain as "unknown" you might continue to have some issues.
Using your DG834 in theory ought to be possible BUT, you'll need to reconfigure it first - I'm not familiar with DGT firmware as to whether it gives the option of configuring it just as a router (as opposed to modem/router) but not that it will matter too much, you'd plug the WAN connection into one of the LAN ports, and use the box as a 3 port router. You should be able to use the 2704n as a WAP.
HTH.
I know if someone else spots these recent posts, they'll chip in with some more knowledgable info Wink
Edit: You might find this helpful as well.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I don't know if the DGTeam firmware can use one of the Ethernet ports for the WAN connection from the FTTC modem, but even if it could, considering its CPU and RAM and the age of the hardware and firmware in general, it might not be able to cope with fast FTTC speeds very well.
Anotherone
Champion

A suck it and see job then, and oh, incheye, sorry, I forgot to say welcome to the forum Wink
rodrimartins

Hi Guys, sorry if someone has asked already, I'm having a annoying issue when I tried to upload anything, google drive or even facebook, my internet completely choked up. I speed tested it during this upload and my ping time was around 800ms, download speeds of 0.2Mbit/s and Upload speeds of 0.3Mbit/s. My router is the 2704n, I bridged it to my TPLink with DD-WRT and it doesn't seem to fix it. Does anyone knows if one of these firmware on this topic would fix this issue? Thanks!
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I suspect that a firmware upgrade is only going to make a minor difference in speed.
Since a DG834G was one of my first routers,  Grin
I seem to remember configuring it by plugging a piece of ethernet between my PC & the router.
I think it boasted that it could handle download speeds up to 24Mbps & 54Mbps for wireless.
See http://support.netgear.com/product/DG834Gv4 for docs & official firmware.
It must still have some use as a router/switch/access point...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anotherone
Champion

Changing to Matty123's firmware may indeed make a big difference to the problem foxy. For a start it's based on original Sagemcom firmware not the locked down buggy Plusnet version.
But everyone please note, it's not official firmware so the only support maybe this thread. Also take care, read this thread carefully and accept the fact that there is always the (small) possibility of bricking the device when doing this sort of thing.
Orbixx

With respect to the serial and MAC being stored in the CFE, and the modified firmware replacing it with a generic one, does this mean I will be required to modify my serial and MAC back to the original one before the firmware change?
Groober

Is it possible to find out what DSLAM chipset is at exchange using some telnet command?
Tried my old DG834G but it's BusyBox locked every time as soon as I typed a character.
junoqbeat
Dabbler

Quote from: Matty123123
Hello...
if anyone is interest I have adjusted the firmware (well mainly the filesystem) of my 2704N, to extend the expert_user.html options.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4-Ln6UubyEeWUllUkFhLXJKVzg

Does anyone know where the GPL Source Code is?  or another source code with the same CPU and limited RAM ?

Your file is not there.need a help by putting this router into a BRIDGE mode. I am going maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad
Anotherone
Champion

Hi junoqbeat, welcome to the forum.
That firmware version was a very early one and has been superseded. Read on through the thread, there is more Wink
junoqbeat
Dabbler

Hi pall
Can't find anything which will say "take this firmware upload to the router ,boshhhh all works fine. As there are no ssh/telnet access to the box ... Its not match I can do.
Had a chat with the support guys and they couldn't help. I need help from someone:(( delaying a project work for a week now...
Many thanka all of you guys
junoqbeat
Dabbler

What I need is a simple bridge mode.
If this router can't do it do you guys know any good cheep router which will have a functionally on the pppa bridge mode?
Many thanks guys
Looks like this forume is my only hope!
Anotherone
Champion

See reply#77 onwards.
Note, if your 2704n has Plusnet's v2 firmware, the http://192.168.1.254/dumpcfgdynamic.cmd to get the text config doesn't work IIRC. That might mean you'd have to use one of Matty's firmware. What I don't think anyone with a v2 has tried, is to upload a config from a v1 to see if that works.
hughtmccullough

I would like to use one of Matty's firmware upgrades, either 3A or 3B to get round the limitations of the Plusnet firmware, particularly the v2 firmware which I have.  I realise that it should work fine with the generic MAC address and serial number in the binary file (actually in the CFE).  However, for the sake of neatness I would like them to be unique and as the original values in the supplied router.  I know this means changing the CFE and getting the CRC correct but I can't find a simple explanation of how to do this.  I downloaded the little appliction that is supposed to do it for you but it only works in Windows and I am using Linux.  Is there a simple explanation somewhere that I am missing or would someone be good enough to create one or list the steps used in the Windows application?
Matty123123
Grafter

Hello, Openwrt gives you some information.  But the serial number location appear to be unique for this router, (it overlaps 2 other unrelated fields)
If you use wine, that should work because its a simple program???, but I have not tried it.

You 'should' be able to get a Basic compiler from the software store. (Yeah, I know its not C) using the supplied source-code.