Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking the potential of Sagemcom 2704N

damorrison

Re: Unlocking the potential of Sagemcom 2704N

Hi,
I'd like a little help if possible.
I have this modem, and I'd like to use it as a bridge-only modem paired with an ASUS RT-AC8U wireless router, as at the moment I'm having to configure two sets of port-forwarding to get some servers working properly, and I also have two subnets to worry about, 192.168.1.x (Plusnet) and 192.168.2.x (ASUS).
Is this possible with some of the config settings here, as I got a little lost between firmware updates and config changes.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Hi and welcome to the forums. Someone managed it back here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,137629.msg1213981.html#msg1213981 , but it looks like it's not for the faint-hearted Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jomo252

Hi quick question on this router, what version firmware do you have.  Also can you setup 2 separate wireless networks with this router?
Matty123123
Grafter

I dont know what the lastest firmware is, but mine says: "7.273.1_F2704N_Plusnet"
You can add more AP's via the config.  I thought I'll attach a picture to show you the bits of the config.
dick:quote
Groober

Quote from: jomo252
Hi quick question on this router, what version firmware do you have.  Also can you setup 2 separate wireless networks with this router?

Mine has version " 7.275.2_F2704N_Plusnet "
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Yes there is an update which some people with issues have had pushed to them, and I believe it may be on those recently dispatched. I haven't discovered what it supposedly fixes yet, will post when I do.
A note of caution for those ADSL users playing with the Configs. I discovered that configuring the 2704n off-line (after it had been factory reset) and saving the Config, when reloading that Config off-line after another factory reset, the 2704n had not been on-line in the interim, when it went on-line it would not talk to the internet. It had synced fine and authenticated and got an IP address, but that's as far as it went. A further factory reset resolved the issue. Also note that when uploading a Config when online, even if the Config update fails, the 2704n reboots (you will therefore lose sync) not ideal for users on some 20CN lines in particular.
I'll have a further play with all this and try and post some more definitive situations.
Matty123123
Grafter

Hello Anotherone, I think I know what you are refering to with the internet issue.  I found a similar issue while playing about...
I'll try to explain my experiment.  When I saved the default config - it saves the default MTU of 1500, after a config play-about and then connect it to the net. The TR69 program does not communicate correctly (If you have changed that part of the config anyway), so it does not lower the MTU to 1492.  Preventing loads of web pages from working.
So I guess Huh if I change the config madly... change the MTU to 1492 (for ADSL users) ?

oh and thanks in advance for suppling any info about the newer firmware.
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for the reply Matty, I was in rather a rush at the time so didn't check out the MTU aspects but the off-line config I'd saved seemed to have a 1500 MTU and I didn't use the TR069 ACS when I went on-line. I'm going to have to experiment more to see exactly what it was.
After a factory reset, and going on line with only username and password configured (so not using tr069 ACS again), this time it seems to use 1492 which didn't give me an issue as my computer is set to less than 1492! That obviously would be an issue for quite a few people.
More playing about needed.
Edit: thanks for the soap message file! will look at it later.
createdbydan
Grafter

IS there anyway to get this router to respond to ICMP request for a TBB graph?
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

All the info you need is contained in this thread, However!.
Here is the short version should you want to tinker with such things.

——=====WARNING.. BACKUP YOUR SETTINGS CONFIG BEFORE YOU START=====—-
By going to 192.168.1.254/expert_user.html  Advanced Setup/Management/Settings/Backup then click the Backup Settings button and save to your computer. Before you start on your quest for external pings, be aware that every upload of your config will restart the router automatically, very frustrating.
This tutorial works for me on a stock 2704n router with an FTTC connection, information was collated in this thread from Darsh,MATTY123123 and peteB

I take no responsibility what so ever if anything should go wrong.

Copy the text from here  http://192.168.1.254/dumpcfgdynamic.cmd (keep the original text safe somewhere first) then save a working copy as wanping.conf
Now open wanping.conf back up and check this thread from here and adjust the config with the info from reply 99 taking note of comparisons between posts 100/101 and 105, this may take a few goes.
Before you save and close wanping.conf remove any space before the first line in the file, i.e. before here >>> <?xml version="1.0"?>
Then go to the end of the file and remove the spurious few lines at the end of the file back to…
</DslCpeConfig>  <<<<<here, then save changes.
You should now be able to upload wanping.conf back to your router using the following url http://192.168.1.254/updatesettings.html
If the config doesn’t upload, you have done something wrong, if it uploads… happy days.
Let us know how you get on...
Anotherone
Champion

Well done for that, I was about to post a similar post and you've beaten me to it. I will however supplement the above with a more detailed step by step guide (specifically for the ADSL config), as some of the thread info is not ideally suited to those who haven't yet picked up the technical knowledge, as the ADSL version may/may not need an extra line elsewhere in the Config, which I have yet to check on. It works on the one I have configured.
I'll post it later, as I have another commitment right now.
Anotherone
Champion

OK, the ADSL configuration doesn't need an extra line at all, it's the same as the fibre version. Here a few tips on how I did mine - do the first few steps (backup current configuration and do the text dump) whilst still on line -
As mentioned by 11110_110, make a back up of your existing configuration in case things go wrong.
Login using http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html and then go to >Advanced Setup>Management>Settings>Backup then click <Backup Settings> this will prompt you to save to the default backupsettings.conf  and save it in an appropriate folder.
Now enter http://192.168.1.254/dumpcfgdynamic.cmd in the browser and press enter, this should give you the mdm text dump of the config.
Select all and copy it to a plain text file using a plain text editor (eg. Notepad), you can choose a name maybe textconfig.txt - it doesn't have to have the extension .conf . By using the .txt extension you can make sure that when saved you can readily open it in a plain text editor. Don't use Word or similar, it will introduce various formatting code that will mess up the configuration file.
Personally, I delete the leading space before <?xml version="1.0"?> and the space, blankline and size info immediately after </DslCpeConfig> before saving. Then make a copy of this file to play around with and edit, call it say wanpingconfig.txt if that's what you are going to create.
Look for the line </WANPPPConnection> you'll find it towards the end of the file. You then need to insert the following lines immediately before this line. In my ADSL version it's immediately after    <X_SAGEM_COM_PPPoA_Rspping_enable>FALSE</X_SAGEM_COM_PPPoA_Rspping_enable>
Insert
          <X_BROADCOM_COM_FirewallException instance="1">
           <Enable>TRUE</Enable>
           <FilterName>ICMP</FilterName>
           <Protocol>ICMP</Protocol>
         </X_BROADCOM_COM_FirewallException>
         <X_BROADCOM_COM_FirewallException nextInstance="2" ></X_BROADCOM_COM_FirewallException>

so this section of the file should now read -
          <X_SAGEM_COM_PPPoA_Rspping_enable>FALSE</X_SAGEM_COM_PPPoA_Rspping_enable>
         <X_BROADCOM_COM_FirewallException instance="1">
           <Enable>TRUE</Enable>
           <FilterName>ICMP</FilterName>
           <Protocol>ICMP</Protocol>
         </X_BROADCOM_COM_FirewallException>
         <X_BROADCOM_COM_FirewallException nextInstance="2" ></X_BROADCOM_COM_FirewallException>
       </WANPPPConnection>

Save the file.
Now, because uploading new settings causes the modem/router to reboot, it's advisable to do this offline so if there's an error in the file and it's not uploaded, the 2704n still reboots, so you are losing sync during this process, not a good idea on troublesome ADSL lines. So login tothe 2704n, click Disconnect on the Home page to drop the PPP session, wait about 30 seconds and power off the 2704n. Wait about another 30 seconds and then unplug it from the line.  (Leave it unplugged from the line until your new config is loaded and the 2704n has finished rebooting).
Once unplugged from the line, you can power up the 2704n and login as expert_user.  Go to >Advanced Setup>Management>Settings>Update.
First try a test with the original unedited "textconfig.txt" file which should upload without a problem. Browse to that file and click <Update Settings>
If the file is accepted it will tell you it's updating and will take about 2 minutes. If it fails, check the file for the spaces and lines that should have been deleted.
If OK, once this has completed, login again as expert_user and again go to >Advanced Setup>Management>Settings>Update but this time browse to your "wanpingconfig.txt" and click <Update Settings>. If it fails, check the file for errors.
If OK, once complete login to it and then connect the line to regain sync and PPP session.
You can do a quick check that it will respond to pings using the following command http://users.plus.net/@gateway_custom?debug-ip=yes
If the diagnostic check completes with the last line containing your IP address, voilà. You should now be able to set up a BQM.
For anyone that tries this, let us know how you got on.
mbray13
Grafter

Hi gentlemen.
I've got a 2704n which I wish to use to extend WiFi signal and act as AP via Ethernet.
I've updated to Matty's V3B firmware and am very impressed by the under the hood access.
I've also deleted and spliced into dumpcfg as discussed in #77.
I've tried duplicating SSID, security and wireless channel on 2nd router but although I can connect wirelessly to 2nd router I do not get any resolution from primary router to allow internet access.
Apologies for my broken tech-garble. This is the closest I can manage to a succinct description of issue without some prodding.
Please help chaps.
Kind regards. Matt
Matty123123
Grafter

Hello, it sounds like you need to disable the DHCP on the second router.  So you laptop talks directly to your primary router.
( I am assuming you have a ethernet cable between the routers )
mbray13
Grafter

Hi Matty123123.
Thanks for the  response.
To clarify I'm trying to use the 2704n to extend BT Opnezone range while waiting for my line to be put in. Hence I do not have access to (next door's) router. 2704n-Openzone via WiFi and devices to 2704n via Ethernet.
I have disabled dhcp on 2704n. Am I correct in thinking I need to copy ssid of desired primary router, set static ip, DNS, subnet details for Openzone via WAN config?
I've poured over the relevant forum bits but am certain there's a fundamental flaw in my understanding here.
Having reset back to your v3B firmware could I trouble you/any other technically-accomplished fellow to break down what I'm missing?
Kind regards, Matt