cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown large downloads

Surfer
Grafter

Unknown large downloads

Normally my usage has been under 10GB a month however since upgrading to Win 10 it seems that over the past month, every week I have had large downloads exceeding 4GB and this has pushed me well and truly over my limit of 10GB a month.  As far as I am aware MS have only had one service update for Win 10 in the past month so having at least 5 downloads exceeding 4GB is a concern.  Can the update facility be switched off as I have already switched off all the apps?
Can any advise please?  Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Unknown large downloads

On Windows 10 go to Settings, Update & security. Against Windows Update select Advanced options and then select Choose how updates are delivered.
You need Updates from more than one place off or if you have more than one Windows 10 PC set it to on and select PCs on my local network.
If you have the last option selected you will be providing updates to other users across the internet which will dramatically increase your usage.
See http://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-... - particularly the part about setting your connection as metered.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Surfer
Grafter

Re: Unknown large downloads

Thanks I have set it to off and also selected "metered" connection.  Can't believe that because fo Windows downloads my sub has gone up from £6.49 a month and this month I will be paying over £30 excluding phone calls for a slow connection!  Angry