cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown Boot up Fault

dgreen007
Grafter

Unknown Boot up Fault

My PC doesn't boot up properly any more and I have tried everything I can (I think) to solve this problem.
Basically, it will start the boot process and everything seems to be going ok but it ends up at a black screen.
I have used the F5 option and asked for the last known good configuration which used to work (intermittently) but now it has become rarer and rarer to actually boot properly.
I reckon to every 10 attempts I get one successful or at least I did.
I have two drives and the primary is partitioned.
I was thinking of a reformat/installation but I don't have any original windows XP software and I'm not exactly sure of the other processes that are involved too.
Does anyone have ideas as to what may be causing this?
Thanks
Crazy
24 REPLIES 24
amir852
Grafter

Re: Unknown Boot up Fault

there might be a virus or reinstall windows format the hard drive or if you dont have the OS cd, boot up the computer and just keep pressing F11 then you should go to the recovery console and recover the windows. this is only for windows. you can keep your data when you recover or you can recover completly this will make your pc like brand new. you dont need to install the OS again if you recover but if you format the pc you will need to install windows again. to go to the recover console restart your pc and firstly press F11
to format the pc go to my computer and right click and press format [format drive c:] wich ever one your os is instaled on normally drive c.
this should help you and this is only for windows pc
samuria
Grafter

First step if you can get it to boot is secure data onto a cd/dvd/pendrive.
If it boots check the event log for any errors reported.
If you dont have a cd your are a bit stuck.
Get a free copy of Acronis(they were giving an old version away) or other disk imaging software and create an image of your drive onto the other partition or drive so you can role back if it all goes belly up.
If you could borrow a cd boot from that if not can you F8 at startup and get a command  consul then try
chkdsk c: /f
repeat this command and change c: for the other drives and partitions like d: e: etc. chkdsk d: /f
See if that  fixes the problem
You could try removing the second drive to see if that has any effect, remove the ram and reseat it, remove any dust from inside pc an check the fans are working
dgreen007
Grafter

Quote from: Samuria
You could try removing the second drive to see if that has any effect, remove the ram and reseat it, remove any dust from inside pc an check the fans are working

I've removed the second drive, removed the ram and reseated it, blown the dust out and the fans seem to be working but I think the problem lies with the primary drive.
It starts to boot up but now gives a message : PXE-E61 Media Test failure - check cable.
I have tried three different cables but same results.
the connection to the drive with the sata cable is very loose but even when I hold it firmly in place botting still fails..
techguy
Grafter

The reference to PXE (unless BIOS errors have changed recently) indicates it is looking for  a network source to boot from and of course not finding one.
Either its because your drive or controller has had it and its looking for a network renote boot source or PXE/Network has somehow moved above your hard drive in the boot order, however reading the thread I think this is unlikely unless you've changed it.
Might be an idea to access your BIOS with the primary drive connected and see if it recognises its presence (depending on BIOS you might have to press either delete, F2 or Alt+S to access it, it should indicate this on the first screen when you start up)
Do you have any friends or family that could test the drive for you?
dgreen007
Grafter

Hi Tech guy.thanks for your help.
It wont even boot now so I'm thinking... would I be able to try out one of my other primary drives from another pc on this one to determine whether the machine is still fuctioning.
I will also get someone to try out This drive as well.
In answer to your network query. This has not been reliant on a network to boot before so I'm not entirely sure what this is about.
adie:quote
techguy
Grafter

Hi
PXE is a method of booting a system from a network source, see Wikipedia here if you are more interested http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot_Execution_Environment
In a nutshell, if the BIOS cant find bootloader code from a floppy disk, CD or hard disk it will look for remote source.
You can indeed try other drives but bear in mind you will not be able to use the Windows installation on the disk without reactivation but it will tell you whether the fault lies in the drive or not.
If it just won't boot then its likely to be the controller on the board which basically means a new motherboard would be needed.
samuria
Grafter

Your best bet is to get a live linux cd and boot from that and see if it works as this wont effect any drives. Putting a drive in from another pc will screw it up as it will try and load new drives for the pc so when you put it back it may not work and as tecguy says may need reactivating.
If you boot from a linux cd or even a windows cd you should be able to see the drive if its not faulty.
You say it try to boot what shows on screen? Have you tried it on another controller?
If you just put the second drive in on its own and try you should get no bootable device.
Check the  bios and make sure the boot order is set to cd then hd0 and that there is no other network devices in the boot order
dgreen007
Grafter

boot now, nothing comes up on the screen at all, it just stays blank so I think the only thing I can do is to get someone else to try the drives unless you think I should try the linux boot disk (where do I get this from)
techguy
Grafter

You can either download an ISO image and burn your own or you can request a free CD of Ubuntu by going to the following site http://www.ubuntu.com/products/WhatIsUbuntu/desktopedition
You then just put the CD in the system and it will boot from the CD, if asked you should choose the run from CD/Live system option, Linux will then run from the CD  and you'll be able to check if the drive is communicating with the system.

samuria
Grafter

If the screen is blank then its not a HD issue it a video or MB. You dont see the bios screen or anything or do you mean you see the bios screen and then it goes blank?
dgreen007
Grafter

Yes, the screen goes black before anything comes up, I can't even get into the bios.
I think it must be the controller that's packed up but I'd like to test the HDD first.
Can I simply connect it to my other PC without fear of screwing anything up?
techguy
Grafter

As samuria has said, if you cant get anything to come up  then I'd be inclined to say the motherboard has had it and the hard drive issue is somewhat irrelevant other than getting your data off by connecting it to another machine.
The only other thing that has occurred to me is whether you have had a graphics card failure (if you are using a tower case then the motherboard is usually mounted vertically on a tray with the graphics card mounted horizontally), in a desktop the reverse is true.
The reason for my explaining the above is your motherboard may have an onboard graphics controller that you can plug into which will allow you to see what is occuring, look for a connector similar to that on your graphics card on the motherboard back panel although I should point out that many motherobard manufacturers offer two versions of a motherboard, one with an integrated graphics controller and one without so it may not be possible for you to do this.
How old is the system may I ask?

dgreen007
Grafter

Yes, I do believe the motherboard or something related to it is faulty. The machine is about 5 years old and is a MESH.
The question I would like to ask is can I plug the HDD onto another one of my PCs without causing any problems?
techguy
Grafter

You can provided you don't proceed past the Windows welcome screen if you intend to try and boot from the drive (to test whether you can) otherwise Windows will more than likely prompt you to reactivate.
If you just want to get your data off, install it as a second drive and simply pull the data off.