cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstalling eTrust Antivirus

esrun

Uninstalling eTrust Antivirus

I am trying to uninstall eTrust antivirus.  I have tried everything and still cannot get rid of it.  Any ideas?
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Uninstalling eTrust Antivirus

format c: ? Tongue
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: esrun
I am trying to uninstall eTrust antivirus.  I have tried everything and still cannot get rid of it.

Sounds like you are infected with the eTrust anti-virus virus. <grin>

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

One sneaky way is IF you're trying to uninstall eTrust prior to installing a new product, the new programme MAY say "it's detected another AV on you're PC would you like to uninstall it first?" I know Norton does this but have no experience of others.
Failing that, have you tried "search" Type in etrust and simply dump into the recycle bin everything that shows. Not very elegant, but it might work, but could also leave quite a lot behind as well. If that causes a lot of problems you can always restore from the bin. Might be a good idea to clear your recycle bin first though. Possible that right clicking any entries at search might have an uninstall option. Not very likely but you never know!
Also just thought, some programmes require you to be logged on as administrator to uninstall them.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Not applicable

I have used eTrust AV in the past and haven't experienced any problems removing it (on XP). Presumably you used Add/Remove Programmes from the Control Panel?
If you have, and it isn't working - do you get an error message? As mentioned before, are you logged on as administrator?
The only other thing to mention is that I did have a problem removing the Computer Associates security suite from ME so I uninstalled by unticking all the startup programmes, booting the computer up then used Add/Remove etc.  I then went back to the startup programmes and re-ticked those that I needed.
Check Programme Files afterwards to make sure that the CA file has been removed.
Also, have your new AV programme .exe icon ready but not installed - install this as soon as e-Trust is removed.