Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstalled Zoom ADSL moden keeps zooming back again

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Uninstalled Zoom ADSL moden keeps zooming back again

I'm completely puzzled by this mystery.
Some while ago I installed a Zoom adsl modem to my computer. It was subsequently un-installed via Control panel, but it keeps on coming back as an entry there. Can anyone advise me how to get rid of it for good? Thank you.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
14 REPLIES 14
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Uninstalled Zoom ADSK moden keeps zooming back again

Perhaps you need to do a "registry clean up"..... a few bits may be lurking about there, and bringing it back onto show .....?
Luzern
Hero

Re: Uninstalled Zoom ADSK moden keeps zooming back again

@ shutter Smiley
AFAICS there is nothing in C:\Programs that relates to Zoom, nor does Search show anything So before I play with the registry, where else might elements be hiding within windows, is my first thought. OTOH as nothing shows in Search that seems a very remote possibility.
As to cleaners I have used CrapCleaner with zilch results. What else that's free do you recommend?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Uninstalled Zoom ADSL moden keeps zooming back again

I like the Microsoft "onecare" online registry cleaner at http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm
Do a Full Service Scan and choose "customize" then turn off everything except the Registry Scan.
It's quite quick (for MS).
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: HPsauce
I like the Microsoft "onecare" online registry cleaner at http://onecare.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm
Do a Full Service Scan and choose "customize" then turn off everything except the Registry Scan.
It's quite quick (for MS).

That sounds like an interesting possibility.... Was only trying to put a few thoughts on the subject of why it comes back.... and could really only think there "might" be something lurking in the registry.... Wink
HPsauce
Pro

There's also an Autoruns tool available to download from Microsoft - not sure offhand exactly where but I found it quickly enough last time I needed it.
It can help you find (and stop) those unwanted little things that you can't find the origin of - usually lurking in the system tray.
HPsauce
Pro

petlew
Pro

Funny you should mention this, I had exactly the same problem with my old PC with a Zoom ADSL modem (both stand alone and PCI card) after uninstalling them the same thing would happen randomly. Never did resolve it, went to a router with old and new PC's. I assumed it was somehow receiving automatic updates from Zoom, that didn't seem to know the modem(s) was no longer fitted, hence random nature.
Sorry to not help, but at least you're not alone. as it seemed to be more annoying that "dangerous" didn't bother too much about it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: HPsauce
I like the Microsoft "onecare" online registry cleaner .....
Tried it with both Firefox and IE7. The one tells me neither my OS or browser are suitable and the other yields error 0x08402405 Sad
samuria
Grafter

You say it comes back how does it manifest its self?
get startupcpl for free from
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
and see whats running at startup you can untick things and if there is a problem retick it later. If it keeps coming back you will untick it and look again in a few mins and it will be back again. This show there is something running that is re installing it.  It could be a service running or the inf file left on the system which keeps thinking its back.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can I suggest the method covered here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/MSICLEAN.htm
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: samuria
You say it comes back how does it manifest its self?
Just appears in Control Panel Add Remove list and AFAICS nowhere else. But my ability is limited.
Luzern
Hero

@ samuria, old jim
Neither worked: it's still there
samuria
Grafter

It needs to be removed from the reg then try
http://www.freeware-guide.com/dir/util/uninst.html
there is lots of free unistallers which should do the job
Luzern
Hero

Smiley I think I have got rid of it! One program Sfarp found a stray hidden registry key but the removal prog failed to launch, Then Uninstallit found another and linked it to Zoom. Key removed and computer rebooted and no sign of Zoom in Add/Remove.
Thanks guys.