cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstall/remove unused sections of Windows 7 (start up)

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Uninstall/remove unused sections of Windows 7 (start up)

I am going to do a re-install of W7 Start Up... on my 10" laptop... after the re-install, can I "uninstall/remove" sections of W7 Start Up, that I don`t use... e.g voice recognition, Paint, and media player etc... ?
If I do uninstall/remove them, are they likely to re-appear at the next boot up?
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Uninstall/remove unused sections of Windows 7 (start up)

you can't uninstall them but the option is  there to turn windows features on or off under Control Panel Add Remove Programs
However on my full version these are the only options
Goes away to have a look at Tablet PC components which I don't think I need not having a tablet
shutter
Community Veteran

Interesting that you say you can`t remove parts of windows.... here is a photograph of my 10" laptop with Absolute Unistaller
It shows a highlighted section of windows Live Mail  and clearly has the instructions for CHANGE or REMOVE  ! 
and for Windows Live Messenger  "to remove this program from your computer, Click Remove....
Hence the reason for asking and posting ! ! ...
Further comments and info much appreciated...  Wink

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Windows Live Essentials programs aren't part of Windows, although some of them replace the equivalent program that came with Windows.
You are talking about setup components (files on disk), not autostart programs?
gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I believe those programs are part of windows essentials and not part of the basic OS so they can be uninstalled.
shutter
Community Veteran

Sorry,... my mistake.... the OS is Windows 7 STARTER.... not  Start Up.... I think it is a slightly cut down version for 10" netbooks... e.g. can`t change the desktop background... and yet it has all that other stuff that nobody uses... and I would like to get rid of those things that I don`t use, ( after the re-install)  to.......
A.) make it run faster (?) and ...........
B.) to give me more HDD space