cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstall Windows 7

jackoab
Grafter

Uninstall Windows 7

Hi, Looking for some help with a problem, I installed Windows 7 Beta on a computer and it was dual booted with XP Home decided to uninstall and put on another machine with XP Pro all went well and works fine but I'm left with the Dual boot on the first machine, can anyone advise on how to remove the dual boot from this machine please,Jack.
15 REPLIES 15
samuria
Grafter

Re: Uninstall Windows 7

In order to tell you we need to know how its installed ie is it on a separate partition or a separate drive or the : drive? Do you just use the windows boot manager or have you got some other boot manager.
Can you upload the file boot.ini on drive c: open it in notepad and upload the text
jackoab
Grafter

Hi Samuria,
                    Windows 7 is no longer installed, I'm sorry if the Heading misled you. The problem is it has left behind the Dual Boot it made when I installed it so I still have to select "Older Windows System", what I want is to revert to a single boot as existed before, apologies if this isn't clear but I can't think of another way to explain it.
From what I've found out I think I need to do it through "bcdedit" but from there I get confused with the technicalities of the examples, regards, Jack.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Don't bother unless it really annoys you. My main PC still has a "dead" Vista Beta on it somewhere that I can't be bothered to deal with, but then I don't boot it very often.
The Vista/Windows 7 boot process is very different to XP and the best precaution is to change the boot menu priority and timing inside 7 or Vista before you remove it. Sounds like that option isn't there now for you, but you could always reinstall it.
Or, if your version of XP allows, you can always run a repair install from CD to fix the boot.
jackoab
Grafter

Hi HP Sauce,
                      I've already tried a repair on XP, ran FIXMBR but no difference.
I want to remove the Dual Boot as on occasions my SAS sometimes needs to restart Windows and if the computer is unattended it just boots into Windows 7 which is not there, if I could change the Boot order that would sort the problem, regards, Jack
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Jamie_Hardy
Dabbler

Quote from: jac2285
Hi HP Sauce,
                       I've already tried a repair on XP, ran FIXMBR but no difference.
I want to remove the Dual Boot as on occasions my SAS sometimes needs to restart Windows and if the computer is unattended it just boots into Windows 7 which is not there, if I could change the Boot order that would sort the problem, regards, Jack

In windows7 you will need to edit the boot loader using bcdedit, this is not very user friendly so I would download easy bcd from here http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 ;
jackoab
Grafter

HI Jamie,
                Downloaded easybcd but apparently it needs Widows 7 to run in so may have to re-install Windows 7, will try later, regards, Jack.

Hi Samuria,
                    Will try your way later as well as it needs part re-installation, regards, Jack.

HPsauce
Pro

If you reinstall W7 you don't need to run the utility to change the menu priority and delay - it's very similar to XP and accessible via Properties on Computer.
samuria
Grafter

If you only have xp left on the pc you just need to edit boot.ini if you post it as requested we can tell you the line to alter
HPsauce
Pro

I think from what has been posted earlier it's still got the Vista/W7 boot menu.
Otherwise you can change it easily and safely in XP - My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery, System startup.
jackoab
Grafter

Sorry for the delay in replying, this is what is in Bootini.

;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT 
I was put off by the opening line taking it to mean to use BCDEDIT, exe to edit,  regards,Jack.
samuria
Grafter

From the recover consul ie boot from the xp cd and choose repair then recovery consul then type

fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0
fixboot c:
this should fix it
jackoab
Grafter

Sorry Samuria tried it but no change, tomorrow will re-install Windows 7 and take it from there.
Thanks to everyone that offered advice, regads, Jack.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

For information - I just removed Windows 7 from my boot options in Vista like this.
Open msconfig (Vista: Start> type msconfig | XP: Start > Run: type msconfig). From there, go to the Boot tab. Select on the list Windows 7, and click on “Delete”.
All I need to do now is reformat the Vista partition to get rid of it from my computer