cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstall Google Desktop

Not applicable

Uninstall Google Desktop

My laptop came with Google Desktop (including sidebar and gadgets) installed. I have no use for this so decided to uninstall it.
However, the message that came up was something about attempting to remove a programme installed by Administrator...... followed by a series of letters and numbers.
Using Revo Uninstaller, I got the same message but continued anyway. On deep scan there were 400 and something registry entries left but I chickened out and left them where they were. CCleaner cleaned some bits of the registry but the folder is still in C:// Programme Files and I cannot delete it (the setup icon is in there - Google obviously want you to keep it on the system).
Please could someone say if there is an easy but safe way forward to get rid of it? Also, should I leave it as it is (wondering if it was integrated into the OS somehow)?
13 REPLIES 13
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Uninstall Google Desktop

When you say you can't delete it, what exactly does the error message say? Seems to me either some Google Desktop process is running on startup and is actively using the folder, or maybe you are not running with administrator rights.
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply Denzil. Have since rebooted, run CCleaner registry cleaner again and got rid of some more remnants. Also got rid of the programme file (now empty so have managed to delete it).
The registry still contains a folder for Google in Hkey_Current_User/Software and in Hkey_Local_Machine/Software - not comfortable with tinkering so will leave unless I get a reply and someone tells me that it is OK to delete. The EULA key in one key tells me that uninstall is complete.
Denzil
Grafter

If CCleaner is picking up the key as unused then it is probably OK to delete it. You can always get CCleaner to do a registry backup befor doing so, so it can be restored if something goes wrong. If you are not sure then just leave it the key there - it won't do any harm.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'd use Microsoft's own registry cleaner. Wink
Go here: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-gb/default.htm then choose "Full Service Scan" and "customize" (under Complete Scan).
Untick everything except the Registry cleaner scan and run it.
Not applicable

Thank you for the advice HP?Denzil - I tried the link but it returned an error and wouldn't open the scanner, even though I tried it more than once (using IE7).
Meanwhile my firewall is saying that Google installer is trying to access the Internet. Have deleted traces of it in Startup (from Defender) so will see how it goes.
I think that I will have to learn to trust Revo Installer a bit more because it did throw up a lot of registry keys.
CCleaner hasn't found anything else of note.
barky
Grafter

windows live one care & defender ... not programs/services I rate very highly myself ... you can definitely find more thorough utilities than defender
far better at cleaning out junk you don't need is tuneup utilities (month trial - then you have to pay -- unless you find it handed out as a freebie) which finds some startup entries Ccleaner misses out and has a far better registry cleaner ..........totally free alternatives to tuneup do exist, like Glary Utilities - free version of that only runs manually as far as I know
BUT if the google desktop isn't running right now perhaps just leave everything 'as is'
Denzil
Grafter

There could be a hidden Google process on startup. Try Start - Run, type msconfig into the box and press Enter. Go to the startup tab and look for anything with a google name. Unticking it will stop it running when the PC starts up.
Not applicable

Nothing in startup now, nor in Defender software explorer. Have also removed the keys/subkeys marked 'Google' in the registry. Firewall is not coming up with the Google installer now so although there may well be strands left they do not appear to be causing a problem so for now I will leave well alone.
I only wanted it off the computer because I wasn't using it and I always get the 'spying' feeling with Google apps.
Probably I should have trusted Revo Uninstaller more - it does create a restore point but there were so many entries that it worried me a bit.
A better registry cleaner as suggested might be good for 'housekeeping' - have heard of Glary before so will read up.
Thank you all for help and advice.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Try Abexo Registry Cleaner    FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
finds things that CCleaner doesn`t....
you will find three blue linkys on the left side...... bottom one is the download one ! !
http://www.abexo.com/free-registry-cleaner.htm

Another FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE one    Eusing Registyr Cleaner
http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm
Use "Download Site 1 "  on the left side of page

Enjoy !
techguy
Grafter

Those utils look good but do make sure you do a reg backup before letting any prog delete keys because there are so many dependencies on a Windows system.
Not applicable

Yes, that is what made me so wary about deleting everything that Revo Uninstaller threw up. Computer's running fine and to all intents and purposes Google desktop and sidebar are no longer to be seen so will stick with CCleaner for now - the registry cleaner part of it has been OK up to now.
However, read up Shutter's links and they do back up so can be reversed - maybe if necessary I will have a go at a later date.
techguy
Grafter

I avoid tangling with the registry whenever possible, either directly using regedit (personally the best way to do it if you truly have to and you know what you are looking for in my opinion) or third party apps as it can leave your system in a right state.
Personally I think MS should have stuck to .ini files as was somewhat easier then.
Denzil
Grafter

I can vouch for Abexo - seems to work well.