cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unattended XP Installation: change currency?

henderson1977
Grafter

Unattended XP Installation: change currency?

Hi all
We have created an unattended XP installation to set the UserLocale (currency, etc..) to "English (United Kingdom)":-
[RegionalSettings]
LanguageGroup=1,7,8,9,10
SystemLocale=0809:00000809
UserLocale=0809:00000809
InputLocale=0409:00000409,0411:e0010411,0404:00000404,0c04:e0080404,0804:00000804

However, this image will be used in Hong Kong so we need to automatically set the currency to $ (dollar), not £ (pounds).
Any ideas how to do this automatically please?
Thanks
Scott
16 REPLIES 16
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Unattended XP Installation: change currency?

henderson1977
Grafter

Thanks Peter.
I have used this website recently and it was very useful, but it doesn't differentiate between setting the UserLocale and configuring the individual elements of the UserLocale, in my case, currency.
In other words, we have correctly configured the UserLocale to "English (United Kingdom)" but we want to change just currency from £ to $.
Do you/anyone know how to do this please?
Kinds Regards
Scott
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
You could use nlite to configure your install - that will let you tweak any number of settings and add/remove components and driver packs as you wish. I've used it before and it's fantastic.
Hope that helps,
henderson1977
Grafter

Thanks Matt.
Unfortunately the build process is pretty fixed and cannot be changed, so we are working within tight parameters.  Have heard of nLite but never used it, so don't know how easy it is to integrate into our build process.  Basically, we can inject a sysprep.inf answer file and/or script anything we like during the GuiRunOnce scripts.
So with nLite, is this possible please?
Cheers
Scott
samuria
Grafter

Nlite will take all your source with scripts and then let you modify things add tweaks and create a boot disk for you. I dont think it lets you change the bit you want. Its free and lets you improve the build by getting rid of rubbish you dont need like strange languages keyboards.
Your problem is you want a custom keyboard you want english uk but use some of english usa i the $ I assume just setting input local to usa wont solve your problem?
The quick fix may be to find the reg key which will be HKEY_USERS\ .DEFAULT\ Keyboard Layout\ Preload change the keyboard to how you want it and see the reg changes it creates then run a .reg file at the end (nlite lets you do that)
The_10th
Grafter

Agreed, Nlite is a great slipstreaming tool and nice GUI to boot (pun intended  ::))
henderson1977
Grafter

Quote from: samuria
Nlite will take all your source with scripts and then let you modify things add tweaks and create a boot disk for you. I dont think it lets you change the bit you want. Its free and lets you improve the build by getting rid of rubbish you dont need like strange languages keyboards.
Your problem is you want a custom keyboard you want english uk but use some of english usa i the $ I assume just setting input local to usa wont solve your problem?
The quick fix may be to find the reg key which will be HKEY_USERS\ .DEFAULT\ Keyboard Layout\ Preload change the keyboard to how you want it and see the reg changes it creates then run a .reg file at the end (nlite lets you do that)

Samuria, yes we do want a custom keyboard, it must be UK layout but the only difference is the currency must be $ and not £.  I'll take you up on your suggestion to find the reg key that needs to be tweak, perhaps I'll use Regmon to monitor the changes in the registry. 
In the meantime, if anyone else knows the exact reg key I need to tweak to change the currency, then please do share.
Many thanks
Scott
Not applicable

User Locale
The user locale determines, which default settings a user wants to use for formatting dates, times, currency, and large numbers. Although it's presented as a language (some in a combination with a country), it's not a language setting. That is, user locale Hebrew means that the user wants to use the standards of Israel, not really of the Hebrew language. The only language effect of the user locale is the names of the days and months. For example, if a person was using the long date format to display November 25, 1998,the November string would change based on user locale.
Changing the user locale, will automatically add an Input Locale with the default settings for the associated language.
An application should use these settings to present data to the user (and most applications do this), but in some cases it might make sense for an application to use a fixed locale for display of data. This can be done by setting the Thread Locale to a fixed value during initialization of the application.
Example: An English user using English Windows 2000 works in Rome, Italy. The user selects Italian (Italy) as user locale, because he wants to use the formatting standards for Italy in his day-to-day work.

Taken from http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/localetable.mspx
Language - Country/Region        LCID Hex          LCID Dec
English - United States            0409                1033
Excerpt from http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/reference/lcid-all.mspx
So, this method will display currency etc as $ by default, but doesn't do strange things like expect you to be using a US layout keyboard.
If oyu want to see the effect of changing this without going through the test deploy routines, you can simply go to;
Control Panel > Regional and Language Options
Then just change the first drop-down box to English (United States) and you'll see the number format examples change.
But your keyboard will still give you the £ sign for Shift+3 and $ for Shift+4
Is this what you are after?
henderson1977
Grafter

Hi James - thanks for your reply and the links.
We have set the keyboard layout to UK but need to change the currency symbol from £ to $ instead, so our users would prefer not to use Shift+4 to manually apply the $ symbol.
Ideally, we need to programmatically set the keyboard layout to UK and currency symbol to $.
Samuria may have hit on a possible solution to tweak a reg key, but am not sure which one yet...
Anyone else with any ideas please?
Cheers
Scott
Not applicable

Confused - why is pressing shift4 harder than pressing shift3?
All the programs would automatically display stuff using $ already eg currencies in Excel etc using the above method, just if they are typing they'd have to use a different key.
If you tweak the registry to may Shift+3 to $, what happens when they want to use a £?
henderson1977
Grafter

I'm confused now  Huh
How would all the programs automatically display stuff using $ when the UserLocale is set to UK, not US?
Thanks
Scott
Not applicable

Erm, thats what I said above - set the locale to US:
Quote from: James_H
Language - Country/Region        LCID Hex           LCID Dec
English - United States             0409                 1033

Which is what I thought you wanted.
Stuff to display automatically in dollars, whilst retaining the standard UK 101 keyboard layout.
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

You could also change the key
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\sCurrency
From a ‘£’ sign to a ‘$’ sign, this will allow the use of all standard UK keyboard symbols but change the default currency symbol to the $ in say Excel spreadsheets etc.
Don't know if that would effect calculations  Undecided
Would that help? Regards, P.
henderson1977
Grafter

James, we cannot set the UserLocale to US because they need to use the UK Standards & Formats so the format of the time, date, etc.. are set as desired, except for currency which must be set to $.
Pendragon, spot on!  That's exactly what we need.  Ta very much!    Cheesy
Scott