cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access router

Roberto0151
Grafter

Unable to access router

I notice this morning that I cannot connect to my TG582N router. Is it just me or a more general problem?
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unable to access router

Well as the connection you are trying to make is on your internal network this would imply that the issue is with you and not the router. Assuming of course that the router itself is powered on and functioning. Are you using wired or wireless?
Roberto0151
Grafter

Connection is wired.  Everything else seems ok but for the router all I can get is "Waiting for 192.168.1.254" at the bottom left (whatever that's called)
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, assuming you are using the same router to access the internet to make these posts then the router is functioning as expected, but you are are simply unable to access the routers internal web interface?
Are you able to try getting access from another device; wired or wireless?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I've had this issue with that router in the past, one of the reasons I don't use it. Reboot the router, switch off/on at the back. Then you should be able to access it (for a while anyway)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I find that running wireshark for a few minutes can give a clue for unresponsive routers.
e.g. failing ARP or DHCP perhaps?
It may fix itself if you wait a few minutes.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Same happens with my cisco roughly every 5-6 weeks. Turn off, count to ten, switch on, back to normal.
Looking at your "Is microsoft messing me about" thread though, I think you need to chill a little. Technology goes wrong, memory leaks occur from bad code, systems crash because they run out of memory (eg your router), companies release operating systems that aren't bullet proof...
A lot of computerised tech simply isn't bullet proof. Computers are known for having different hardware glitches - especially with new operating systems. Routers.. well programming those is something else entirely but they're not as complex as a full PC (although the functions they perform are more complex) and so switching off and back on won't hurt it.
I do it with my phone sometimes when that starts playing up Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Roberto0151
Grafter

Sorry about the delay - I thought I'd sent a comprehensive answer about ten hours ago but  I must have missed the "post" button or done something equally daft.
To cut a long story short I tried Hairy McB's remedy and it worked fine.
Thanks for the help - and 7up's comments which much appreciated
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I saw that problem but after updating the firmware is went away
Which firmware do you have
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Mine WAS on the latest f/w Jim, and had be factory reset. They are just APOS router.
Roberto0151
Grafter

FWIW  mine is 10.2.2.b.  I think that is the latest ?
Anotherone
Champion

I have seen this issue very rarely before.
Yes it is the latest firmware for the ADSL no-USB port version. Out of curiosity, had you had a loss of PPP session prior to this (due to external network "maintenance")?
Roberto0151
Grafter

Yes, there was some sort of disconnect for no obvious reason during the early hours of the morning. Interesting point.
I think I shall have to bear in mind that a router reboot can be as useful as a computer reboot in the right circumstances.
Anotherone
Champion

Disconnects in the "early hours" are often down to Maintenance. Typically the following sorts of things -
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1438951418.htm or sometimes http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1437484005.htm
Unfortunately the rather "ungraceful" way in which the disconnect can too often occur, causes the modem/router the occasionally "lock-up" in a few different manners, and a reboot is the only cure.
This doesn't just happen with the 582n, but I've seen (and experienced it) with other modem/routers as well.