cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable To Renew Ip Address

Selkirk
Grafter

Re: Unable To Renew Ip Address

techguy, here are the three that are connected,(1)LAC fastethernet 100Mbps.
                                                                    (2)Wireless Adapter 54Mbps.
                                                                    (3)1394 Net Adapter 400Mbps.
When you say pull the plug do you mean disable? if so number (3) will not disable.
Number(2) will disable, but I then lose the internet connection.
When it was up and running previous 2 of these were showing in the task bar can't remember which.
There is only one plug connected and that is a Cat5 from the router to the Desktop, is this the one
you are asking me to pull.
As soon as I can understand this I can move forward Thanks. Selkirk.
paulby
Grafter

How many PC's are we talking about here?
As far as I understand it you have one desktop PC? 
You should connect to that computer either by an ethernet cable or wirelessly.  If you're trying to connect by both methods at the same time you'll run into problems.
If this is the case either remove the ethernet cable from the back of the PC or disable the wireless.  If you want to work wirelessly then remove the ethernet cable.
Don't worry about the 1394 (Firewire) unless you've got some kind of modem plugged in there too (in which case remove it).
Selkirk
Grafter

As i said in a post, I am new too all this that is why I have numbered all connections in the hope that someone could tell me which Number to remove, and how to do this,
we all have to strart some where and that is what I am doing.
I would like to connect a desktop to wireless, I know what a Cat5 cable is, because that is connected to port 1 onthe Netgear DG834 to the  desktop, and that is all i know.
Selkirk.
paulby
Grafter

If you're wireless is connecting, as you explained earlier, then disconnect the ethernet (CAT5) cable from the back of your router and see how things go.
You should now have the following:
1.  LAN Fast Ethernet - Disconnected (by removing CAT5 cable from router)
2. Wireless - enabled
3. 1394 - Enabled (don't worry about this one).

If it doesn't work consistently with the ethernet removed we'll need to look at your wireless setup in a bit more detail.
Selkirk
Grafter

Local Area Connection Unplugged.
Netgear 802.11g connected Wireless Adapter.
1394 net adapter connected.
Netgear 802.11g varies from 24 to 54Mbps.
Still says firefox can't find the server. also lose signal every 8 to 10 mins.
techguy
Grafter

!394 always has the status connected (not sure why but does on my own system too)
I take it when you are using your ethernet connection it is stable?
James
Grafter

I thought that the 1394 adaptor was Firewire related?
Not applicable

Yup its the other name for Firewire - which is like USB but faster/less secure.
Should be disabled if you aren't using it to connect any devices. (Although there are some rather handy 'black market' software tools which allow one to unlock a PC via the firewire port (amongst other things))
techguy
Grafter

Hi James
It is but it can also be used for non video related transfer (not seen any but I think you can get ADSL modems that connect via firewire as its quicker than USB)
As I say, I have nothing connected to my firewire port but always shows connected, its never caused me or anyone I know  an issue so never delved into why.
techguy
Grafter

With the addition of the broadband firewall service my PC is now triple firewalled so better when the US DoD I reckon.
Not applicable

Apologies for the OT, but basically USB uses your system CPU to process data, whereas 1394 uses seperate hardware. Because it has its own hardware, it appears to the system as a seperate peripheral which is connected (even when nothing is connected to it).
The security risk angle relates to the direct memory access allowed to Firewire - the very thing which makes it advantageous over USB for data transfer also makes it an 'open door' for intruders.
Its not a reason to run round in panic, as it requires somebody physically connecting something to the port to allow them access/control over your machine - but if you aren't using it, you might as well turn off the hardware thats running it.
Firewalls won't help, since they have nothing to do with the Firewire socket on your machine - the Firewalls you have are only protecting your network connection. Wink
techguy
Grafter

Exactly James
Was aware of this with FW but noone with the knowledge has access to my PC to exploit this flaw so connection security is personally more important to me.
Anyway, we digress from the original query, I'm giving very serious thought to this query and aim to come back with a proper answer very soon indeed.  Smiley
Selkirk
Grafter

I did mean to post that the 1394 net adapter will not disable, as this is greyed out, so I thought it was no meant too. Selkirk.
Selkirk
Grafter

« Reply #26 on 29/09/2008, 16:51 »
Exactly James
Was aware of this with FW but noone with the knowledge has access to my PC to exploit this flaw so connection security is personally more important to me.
Anyway, we digress from the original query, I'm giving very serious thought to this query and aim to come back with a proper answer very soon indeed. 
Sorry, can't hold my breath any longer, thanks too all who helped. bye Selkirk.
techguy
Grafter

Apologies Selkirk
Work and a bout of flu have taken my mind off matters
Sorry
I ont recall there being any connection timeouts on the wireless end but I know the router can be set to drop an ADSL connection after X number of minutes of inactivity.
From what you've said, wired doesn't drop, just the wireless, I'll have a look at my own router again tonight