cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultra 320 SCSI Cable Terminators

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Ultra 320 SCSI Cable Terminators

I have a server which has an Adaptec 29160LP SCSI Controller Daughterboard going to a Seagate SCSI hard drive via an Ultra 320 SCSI cable. The hard drive can take, but isn't fitted with, a link to enable it to put power onto the cable - I assume to power the terminator. At the end of the cable is a Foxconn Terminator. I think its Part No is something like 410-0010-K24. I know that SCSI terminatorscan be active or passive, and I assume the active one needs power (which it can only get down the cable).
What I need is to get answers to the following:-
(a) is this Foxconn terminator active or passive? I would accept an answer from someone who knows, but I could do with manufacturers documents to prove this, so if you could point me towards this as well, please, that would be a great help;
(b) if I put the link on the hard drive to power the cable/terminator, does it matter whether the terminator is active or passive (will the combination work anyway), or will the wrong combination cause problems?
Thanks for your help
5 REPLIES 5
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Ultra 320 SCSI Cable Terminators

You won't get more than 160MB/sec because of the 29160 HDA.
I assume your cable is either 68 or 80 pin cable.
The link on the hard drive is to power the disc!
The Adaptec powers the signal connections (and terminator) only.
Your terminator should be a LVD (NOT HVD) model.
I suspect that is the same as active.
You need to be careful with connections - they can come in different densities...
For a laugh see http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=scsi+connectors&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=uni...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Rich
Grafter

Unfortunately I can't answer your questions, but I can say - Don't bother asking at a certain computer retailer (initials PCW) - A few years ago I asked if they stocked SCSI terminators, only to be told that "SCSI  isn't an industry standard" Roll_eyes
penneck
Aspiring Pro

I'm not worried about the transfer speed so the fact that I am using a 29160LP shouldn't be a problem.
My problem is that I am not sure what to do with one of the links on the hard drive.
The SCSI installation instructions from Seagate state the following for one of the link positions on the SCSI Hard Drive:-
TP - Termination Power
Pins 27-28 - Termination power ensures that there is a sufficient power level along the entire SCSI bus. It is recommended that the final device on the SCSI bus have the Termination
Power jumper installed. All devices in between the host and final device typically have no jumper on Termination Power. Note that Termination Power is not the same as on-board
termination, which this drive does not support.
Now I know which pins are pins 27 & 28. Up to now we have used the system I described (29160LP, hard drive, cable, terminator) for some time, and we haven't fitted the TP link. The problem is, the system is occasionally unreliable, so we are taking another look at the design. As we don't know whether the Foxconn termination block (which is a fixed part of the cable) is active or passive, we aren't sure whether fitting the TP link will cause any damage.
Personally, Based on what is written above on the TP link, I would just fit the link and try it, but my boss is reluctant to go in "like a bull in a china shop". He wants some guidance from someone or something that knows what they/it is talking about, which is why I cannot answer him, and have asked the forum in the hope there is a SCSI expert available.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

http://support.gateway.com/s/Servers/shared/FAQ/11349030faq4.shtml
answers your question - and you are definitely using LVD (Low Voltage Differential) signalling anyway (provided your speed is 160MB/sec).
You can force, by accident or design, SE mode (Single Ended) or non-differential signalling - but this runs at 80MB/sec.
You can mix the two modes if you want.
At one time, I ran a 50 pin, SE connection to a tape drive (with terminator) plus a 68 pin LVD to an external disk drive (160MB/s) with it's own LVD terminator (using a 29160).
See manual (attached)...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Thanks