Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu wins new award

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Ubuntu wins new award

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/10/ubuntu-wins-big-brother-austria-privacy-award
Canonical’s decision to add Amazon product suggestions to the Unity desktop has seen the company presented with a ‘Big Brother Award‘ in Austria.
The controversial feature – which uses local search terms to fetch ‘relevant’ product results from the web – was announced as a winner of the un-coveted prize at a ceremony in the Austrian capital, Vienna, on Friday, October 25th.
The Big Brother Awards – held annually since 1999 – hands out gongs to governments, companies, persons and projects deemed to “have done the most to invade personal privacy”. This can take the form of misusing, violating, or disclosing personal data to third parties.
Awards are handed out to projects that ‘invade personal privacy’.
The award marks the latest public admonishment of the shopping lens.

Don't use Ubuntu and will NEVER use unutty  Grin
20 REPLIES 20
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Ubuntu wins new award

But this only applies to Ubuntu (in particular, Unity).
Just because Canonical have f**ked up doesn't mean that Ubuntu derivatives are dodgy.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Never said it did, I use Mint and have done for many years now.
Waldo
Grafter

Even some Mint users use Unity.
I like it on Arch (web searches are disabled by default).
VileReynard
Hero

4% in a recent survey.  Undecided
Why do they do that?

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Whats all the fuss about ? i use Ubuntu, in all honesty i think using mint is going backwards!. Your data is being mined either-way by someone or other!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand what the fuss is about either, so what, online searches is annoyingly enabled by default during installation, but it can be as simple as a single privacy option toggle to switch the thing off. Hardly a reason not to use an OS !
YouTube video - How to Disable Amazon Results in Ubuntu Unity Dash

That is even more ridiculous than abandoning Ubuntu because the default GUI is Unity, when all you have to do is click on the "Software Centre" hit install "Gnome Desktop", logout, login using Gnome, and from then on your default desktop is classic Gnome.
If doing that through the "Software Centre" is too hard, then simply run this in a terminal, and then restart -
sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

What's the big fuss over such insignificant and trivially easy things to set as you want ?  Crazy
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Who did that?
Quote from: purleigh
That is even more ridiculous than abandoning Ubuntu because the default GUI is Unity

I quit using Ubuntu many many years BEFORE unutty was introduced.
Quote from: 30FTTC06
in all honesty i think using mint is going backwards!.

Hmm interesting, I prefer Mint because EVERYTHING works, from DVD playback to mp3 players. I don't HAVE to install any extra codecs to get banshee to play mp3's for instance which was true last time I used Ubuntu.
I am not alone either, Mint has replaced Ubuntu as the #1 distro.
VileReynard
Hero

If you want to run one application (out of thosands) and you don't remember its name
then you are stuffed in Unity.
At least if you know roughly what it does you can find it (quickly) on a menu.
If Ubuntu are forwarding local searches through the internet to Amazon, then what else are they doing?
It's a loss of confidence thing.

gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

awwwwww poor Ubuntu........
tbh say what you want, Ubuntu has done a lot to bring linux into the present as a user friendly OS
Personally I don't like Unity, but then the ubuntu base is very stable, and the beauty of linux is, once you have a stable base, you can build and tailor the OS to suit yourself Smiley
VileReynard
Hero

In the past, Ubuntu did a good job...

picbits
Rising Star

I started with Debian many many moons ago (after a very short but unsuccessful attempt with Redhat back in the 90's), after finding Ubuntu I never looked back.
I still use it for server stuff but can't stand all the bloatware that comes with the Desktop version now - I tend to install the server version then XFCE4 or similar so I can find what I've installed  Grin
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

I like the layout, thats about it really..
dragon2611
Grafter

Never found a Linux distro I've gotten on well with for desktop use  Embarrassed
It's mostly drivers that are the problem or stuff just not working as it should.
It might be ok if you have a really basic computer with onboard graphics and just want to browse but otherwise getting the GPU acceleration working properly is often a dark art.
Use Linux heavily on servers and love it for it's embedded applications but for desktop use it's usually just to much hassle.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: 30FTTC06
I like the layout, thats about it really..

So Cinnamon for you then? I still prefer Mate, don't like the "extra's" that C adds.
@dragon2611 What GPU are you using that causes so much problems? I use NVidia GPU's and have never had any problems, just install the latest driver and you have everything working.