Did you mean: 

Ubuntu to start offering MATE desktop

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Ubuntu to start offering MATE desktop

From OMG! Ubuntu
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/01/mate-desktop-ubuntu-1404
So finally waking up to the fact that people don't want a phone os on the pc  Grin
6 REPLIES 6
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Ubuntu to start offering MATE desktop

MATE has been available in Fedora for a while now, there's a MATE+Compiz "spin" iso available for download alongside the GNOME, KDE, LXDE and XFCE iso files.
gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Linux mint has had both cinnamon and mate desktop versions for a while now.
Personally I think Ubuntu has become arrogant like microsoft windows in trying to produce one OS for the whole market when it is obvious to users that the tablet/mobile phone needs a different OS to a desktop pc.
maybe one day they will listen to their customers but I won't hold my breath Sad
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Well for those using the other upgradable distro (Mint LMDE) :D:
Going forward, LMDE ISOs will be released in two versions: MATE and Cinnamon.

The decision was taken not to maintain a KDE version of LMDE and to stop maintaining the Xfce version.

So those people will need to either move to Mint versions which need to be rebuilt periodically or move to Ubuntu.
Standard Mint is still available in Cinnamon, MATE, KDE and Xfce.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
From OMG! Ubuntu
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/01/mate-desktop-ubuntu-1404

Ubuntu 14.04 will, for the first time, allow users to install the MATE desktop environment straight from the Ubuntu Software Centre.

Or, to put it another way, it will become possible to install MATE from Ubuntu repos instead of MATE repos.

So finally waking up to the fact that people don't want a phone os on the pc  Grin

It's long been possible to to use a ~30MB netinstall ISO to install a base command-line only system and choose whichever Desktop Environment / Window Manager you fancy.
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: gtowen
Linux mint has had both cinnamon and mate desktop versions for a while now.

As have any number of distros (Ubuntu included).
Personally I think Ubuntu has become arrogant like microsoft windows in trying to produce one OS for the whole market when it is obvious to users that the tablet/mobile phone needs a different OS to a desktop pc.
maybe one day they will listen to their customers but I won't hold my breath Sad

Word on the street is that if you install Ubuntu and don't like Unity, Canonical will give you a full refund.  Smiley
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Waldo
Word on the street is that if you install Ubuntu and don't like Unity, Canonical will give you a full refund.  Smiley

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Good luck getting any money  Grin
Quote from: Waldo
Or, to put it another way, it will become possible to install MATE from Ubuntu repos instead of MATE repos.

True if you know what you were doing, and how to add repo's. Now it is available from the app centre.  Cool