Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu's default search engine to change in deal with Yahoo

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Ubuntu's default search engine to change in deal with Yahoo

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/01/ubuntus-default-search-engine-to-change-in-deal-with... makes interesting(?) reading.
Is Ubuntu the new M$?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

15 REPLIES 15
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Ubuntu's default search engine to change in deal with Yahoo

Strangely M$ has also a deal with Yahoo. Maybe Yahoo is the new M$  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I assume that the search box top right will still have a drop down so that you can use any you want
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Yeah its just the default search/home page that will change, you are free to choose google.co.uk as your home page.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

or any other page that you want, my home page is not one of the search engine, but my own small web site, I was talking about the search box top right
HairyMcbiker
All Star

The search box is standard FF, Ubuntu has no control over it, they could replace the default but you could just change it back. As I said the only change is the default home page which goes via ubuntu.com rather than straight to the search engine. (NB I don't use Ubuntu on anything now but that was the default in previous versions)
<a href="http://start.ubuntu.com/10.04/">Here</a> is the new default home page/search engine. Undecided (change the 10.04 to 9.10 for the current one)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

a lot of people that I see firmly believe that is the bar where they have to put in the URL and not into the address bar at the top, its a wonder with some peoples machines that they have room to see the actual web page, what with a google bar, a yahoo bar, a bookmarks bar, an rss bar and then the page open bar
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Well last time I saw IE (8?) there was no URL bar visible  Cheesy Mind you the user did have a 1024x768 screen & 4 toolbars loaded! When they did see a web page about all they could see was adverts! I loaded FF & adblock and said NO MORE Toolbars, what a difference!
Not applicable

Don't get me started about toolbars! I can't stand them and am amazed when some computers that I have worked on have several downloaded and showing all at once.
I can't blame the owners though 'cos you have to pretty vigilant as so many of the software companies are sneaking them in - Java and CCleaner being just 2 that spring to mind.
As for the Yahoo deal, not bothered really - just takes seconds to change it back and Google probably has too much dominance anyway.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Hairy
<a href="http://start.ubuntu.com/10.04/">Here</a> is the new default home page/search engine. Undecided (change the 10.04 to 9.10 for the current one)

Actually I quite like that. Smiley
It's like the original Google page before they put loads of little icons and other rubbish everywhere.
If the search is as good as Google, then it's bye bye Google (except for language translations etc).

Ben_Brown
Grafter

If you don't like toolbars have a look at the vimperator plugin for Firefox Smiley
(Ok, most people will hate it, but if you use vi, then you migh just get along with it ;))
adie:green changed mis-spelt URL ]
HairyMcbiker
All Star

VI  Tongue
Joe  Cool
VileReynard
Hero

nano  Smiley
gedit  Smiley Smiley Smiley
vi  Cry Cry

Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
The search box is standard FF, Ubuntu has no control over it, they could replace the default but you could just change it back. As I said the only change is the default home page which goes via ubuntu.com rather than straight to the search engine. (NB I don't use Ubuntu on anything now but that was the default in previous versions)

Ubuntu supplies its own build of FF, so they are quite capable of giving it a different default search engine.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

And if using FIrefox, you can download an addon called....."stylish" and do many different "styles" to change the look of the page, including removing adverts