Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu one, crash course needed

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Ubuntu one, crash course needed

Can anyone point me to or give any advice on cloud computing with ubuntu one? Getting very confused about the whole thing at the minute. I'm away for a few week working and would like to be confident in what I'm doing.
Firstly, I have created two accounts one for my windows machine (there I've said it  ;D) and my 12.04 ubuntu machines, both on the same computers. I dual boot and do mostly work on the xp and my own stuff on the 12.04 and like to keep things separate until I can use my 12.04 purely for work as well.
I was using comodo but found it very unstable, slow and kept logging out. It was a bit more feature rich with icons showing the state of files, whether they were new, synced or about to be deleted etc something that ubuntu is working on in future releases.
Question is I'm using 2 computers, my work desktop and my laptop so I'm bewildered how cloud computing works with U one and how the syncing process works.
1. Do I have to have the folders that I will be syncing inside the Ubuntu one folder for it to work properly.
2. In windows I have to sync folders that are in the home directory, what is the home directory? I'm guessing it's my docs though I could be wrong.
3. If I delete a file at work and then sync then get home will my laptop just write the deleted file back to the cloud or will it also be deleted at home? same goes for editing files. Does one actually know which copy is the latest? Feels like it should but you never know.
4. What happens if I have to knock off my computer before syncing has completed, will it just start from where it left off or will have corrupt data in the cloud or worse both?
Any help greatly appreciated. I think I will also need to change my computer names. I inadvertently just ran with defaults on both my 12.04 installs so they both have the same names  Embarrassed
9 REPLIES 9
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Ubuntu one, crash course needed

A popular choice is to use Dropbox to store files.
It's a bit limited - but basically it runs in the background and periodically checks over the internet to see if anything needs syncing.
You can set upload/download max transfer rates.
You get a basic 2GB for free, transfers are encrypted - but Dropbox have the password.  Grin
I think it supports Macs & Windows too.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Undecided Great I've spent all day trying to get my head round ubuntu one and now there's another thing to think about  Grin and drop box works with Blackberry  Cool which one doesn't at the moment. Still nothing wrong with trying them both. You can never have enough software I find  Smiley Just trying some experimenting at the moment to see how changes are reflecting on both computers. Still can't work out what the ubuntu one folder is for yet though. maybe I can run both with the same folders not sure, I know comodo didn't like it for some reason but it was very buggy.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Yeah drop box is definitely the best so far, very nice thanks for the heads up.  Cool
VileReynard
Hero

Bear in mind that your data isn't really in a cloud - it's in the USA and can be inspected by persons unknown...
So don't send any vital data (unless it's been encrypted in advance).  Cheesy

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Oh right  Shocked what, and they can legally do this? What about ubuntu one how secure is that?
VileReynard
Hero

Basically, all these large cloudy things have access to your data - presumably on request from one of their many secret services.
You could set up an encrypted partition in Ubuntu to allow seamless access to your data, or you could just avoid storing sensitive data in such a way.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The files being stored on an encrypted partition on your computer is irrelevant if you upload the files elsewhere - the file is decrypted whenever it is read from the disk. If you copy or send it somewhere else, that copy isn't encrypted.
VileReynard
Hero

You would need to store the encrypted versions on the remote "Cloud" system; not the decrypted version you would normally access.

AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Interesting, there's nothing really sensitive as such just work docs for estimates and quotes, invoices that sort of thing. Just so I don't have to keep copying stuff over from a usb stick between each device and I have updated copies when on the move. I suppose an extra layer would be using rar files that are password protected.  Out of the two dropbox is probably the best but I'm ubuntu one for my work stuff and dropbox just for my own pic,vid and stuff because it has a blackberry app.  I can use my phones browser without the need for an app with ubuntu one so everything working in sync.

This has been a week where a whole new side of tech has been revealed. Sure enough every time I think of some software that would be handy its already out there and I was the last to know  Grin and it does more than I expected.