Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu getting slated in the online press

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Ubuntu getting slated in the online press

both ElReg & TheInq have articles about losses from Ubuntu to Mint, and both slate the Unutty interface as the issue  Cheesy
<a href="http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2127579/ubuntu-popularity-falls-linux-mint-flourishes">Here</a>
and
<a href=http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/24/ubuntu_end_of_days/>HERE</a>
ElReg says
Canonical has certainly upset gnomes, as the Linux desktop environment that Ubuntu had used from day one was demoted and replaced by a new interface designed to make ready Ubuntu ready for touch-based devices.

& TheInq says
Like Ubuntu, Linux Mint is aimed at Linux beginners and is based on Debian. Linux Mint has also tweaked its user interface through the Mint Gnome Shell Extensions, but unlike Canonical, the changes are meant to make the interface more like Gnome 2.

3 REPLIES 3
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Ubuntu getting slated in the online press

Can you image using a 22" desktop screen as a touch-based interface?
I could always use a long stick I suppose!
Bit like poking a television instead of using a remote control.  Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe you need a little man to reach up and touch the screen with the end of his fishing rod - This could be a "Gnome extension" ?  Wink
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: A
Can you image using a 22" desktop screen as a touch-based interface?

Yeah we used to have one for "special needs" but the COST £££££'s.
But I will not be using unutty or gnome-shell either. I am playing with all the current distro's to see what I prefer, but it seems to be G3 or KDE4 all round, MSGE is ok ish, Pengui's setup is ok ish as well, dislike the KDE desktop applets (too like Vis*a for me) so I am looking at LXDE or similar or stick with G2.x until Mate gets sorted out.