Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu + AMD Drivers

Blim
Grafter

Ubuntu + AMD Drivers

Hey, I'm now running Linux 90% of the time hehe
It feels like such a long time since I last used Linux but Its so nice to use and after trying win8 I'm more than happy to to say bye to MS. Its about time too.

So yeah anyway... I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 but I've been unable to install any of the AMD drivers for my 6950 card and after I read about the new drivers having a openGL boost I really wanted to give them a try. Every time I install anything other than the "xserver-xorg-video-ati(open source,tested)" things go ever wrong for me and almosr lock up.
I wonder if anyone know a bit about this. I just need pushing in the right direction like what version of Ubuntu I should try and If its even worth me trying to get any of AMD driver to work?
I've also read that AMD are not that great for openGL or at least the newer cards aren’t. I don't expect anyone to know but just on the off hand I thought id ask. If I work anything out I'll post it up here....
2 REPLIES 2
Waldo
Grafter

Re: Ubuntu + AMD Drivers

IIRC when Ubuntu 12.10 was released the AMD fglrx driver was incompatible with the X server in 12.10.
AFAIK AMD have released newer drivers since; if none of the fglrx drivers in the Ubuntu repos are working for you try the AMD site for something newer.
You might find something here which helps.
Blim
Grafter

Re: Ubuntu + AMD Drivers

Thanks, you was spot on. I couldn't get the newer drivers to work without the same error but it took me no time at all to reinstall Ubuntu to 12.04. Thing are much better now.
I using the 12.11beta drivers from AMD/ATI with the openGL boost and I cant believe how good this really is.
Thanks very much for your help Smiley
Edit: No sorry the AMD drivers make wine worse but Linux games are much better*