Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu 9.10 installed...

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Ubuntu 9.10 installed...

Oops!
I installed it on the first day - and guess what?
It killed my wireless connection on a desktop at least 20m from the router. Angry
Found out why (I think).
Some time ago there were two drivers available for Atheros 5000 wireless cards, that interfered with each other.
The solution is to "blacklist" (disable) one of these drivers by naming it in the /etc/modprobe.d file.
I did this a couple of years ago...
Unfortunately, one of the drivers has now been discontinued.
Guess which one?
So I'm expecting/hoping that a simple config. change will make things better.
Luckily the PC isn't used much.
Let you know if that fixes it.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

57 REPLIES 57
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 installed...

I'm just playing with 9.10 UNR on my Aspire One. Must say at the mo I'm not impressed with the default desktop theme.
Compared to 9.04 it seems washed out and the grayscale ( rather than colour ) notification icons are not too clever...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Well I am doing an upgrade of my Xubuntu setup (running LXDE rather than XFCE), started it last night and let it download, still running (mainly due to the screensaver kicking in and it wanting it stopped, and the fact is is a slow machine 1GHz Via C3)
VileReynard
Hero

My main problem was download speeds of only 20 - 100kBytes/sec.
(mostly the former).

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Well it has installed. So far..
1. It made Gnome the default WM instead of LXDE
2. It made Evolution the default Mail client instead of Thunderbird
3. the Boot screen is blank on this machine, so no loading info.
4. the HDD warning came up warning that my disk is dieing! (Some error remapping but no real problems YET!)
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Axisofevil
Oops!
I installed it on the first day - and guess what?
It killed my wireless connection on a desktop at least 20m from the router. Angry
Found out why (I think).
Some time ago there were two drivers available for Atheros 5000 wireless cards, that interfered with each other.
The solution is to "blacklist" (disable) one of these drivers by naming it in the /etc/modprobe.d file.
I did this a couple of years ago...
Unfortunately, one of the drivers has now been discontinued.
Guess which one?
Let you know if that fixes it.

Yay!
I fixed it by inserting a # (comment) character in a config file.
I'm severely unimpressed by the prettiness of it though.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Boot time on a slow machine is increased too.

Santiago
Grafter

I think I will stick with my brand new upgrade to 9.04 then!
VileReynard
Hero

I'm still tempted to upgrade my main machine, but I think I might wait a couple of days.
BTW If you are worried about the network driver thing,
type in
lshw -C network
If you see a reference to an Atheros card then you will likely need to make a minor change after your upgrade.
The "problem" with the boot screen is that X is used to display a rubbish image and rubbish login selection.
According to a forum post...http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/10/change-karmic-gdm.html
it's only a pity you can't set a customised background to xsplash, like having your own desktop image since first seconds of the startup process...

Actually, you can change your xsplash pretty easily. I have mine set as my desktop background and it's a seamless transition. The files are in /usr/share/images/xsplash. You have to find the one that matches your resolution. Backup the old file and copy and paste your new one with the same name. If you have a weird resolution, xsplash uses the one that slightly larger in WIDTH than your resolution.

Not applicable

I'm fed up - installed it this morning and everything seems to be in place but I have no sound.
Apparently this is not unusual. The lappy has a RealTek sound card.
Not very well at the mo and I can't be bothered with it so unless someone comes up with a very simple answer as to what to do I shall probably reformat with 9.04 when I can cope with it. Wish I'd done a backup of the OS.
Don't like the boot up screens. This sort of thing is enough to put folk off Linux so it is not good at all.  Cry
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

poppy,
Maybe this will help http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1304710&page=1

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Not applicable

Well thanks for that MisterW. Alas it is now immaterial now as I can't get into Ubuntu at all!
Gets to the first splash screen then the following message appears:
96.640004 BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 61s! (ntdriver:722).
It booted up fine before so don't know what has happened. I can't recover it either as when I use the recovery mode option the keyboard does not respond and I can't tab down to any of the options.
It is well beyond me so I shall have to do a reinstall of Jaunty or alternatively could wait to take the lappy to my Linux Usergroup meeting which is next week.
I had stuff backed up so probably the first option would be best as I can then do a proper Home partition.
VileReynard
Hero

Apparently it's possible to change that dark grey background screen to one of your own devising - some hacking required!
@poppy - my sound upgraded itself OK
How about booting from your (live) CD if you need to check disk allocations etc.

Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. What I need is just a little more info as to what to do. I have a Jaunty CD but not KK but can download without much bother.
Would be really grateful if you could just guide me a bit more because even though it would be a good idea to reformat anyway, I want to use this as a learning experience if possible.
Not too bothered about the splash screen - just want it to boot up!
Not applicable

Well, I'll 'go t'foot of our stairs' (if I had any) as we Yorkshire folk say - this time it has booted up no problem.
Am now going to check out the link to try to get the sound going.  Embarrassed
It's had another tantrum and wouldn't boot up although I did update grub with sudo as advised in the link.
What gets it going again is booting into Windows. When I restart Ubuntu boots up fine.
Any ideas please?
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

I'd split my /home onto a different partition on my laptop last time I installed.
So simply put 9.10 in, manually set the partitions and it installed pretty quickly and realised that /home/steve which it found there was my home and changed the uid for the files.
I'm dual booting on a twin core intel centrino 2 laptop IMedion s5610). Once Grub clears ( 8 second delay) it takes 53 seconds, including me selecting my login and typing my  password to get to the desktop with the wireless connected and me having a usable machine.
If I boot into Vista I might as well go have a coffee!