Ubuntu 9.04 ships on time (again)

The latest Ubuntu shipped today - see http://www.ubuntu.com/

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

27 REPLIES 27
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 ships on time (again)

The upgrade from 8.10 took about 4 hours on my laptop. Every seems to be working fine. The only hiccup was the upgrade seemed to stall about 1 hour in. (No apparent progress and disc access light not flickering for at least 10 mins) so I had to power down and resume.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I did a forced on-line update on Wednesday (to avoid the masses yesterday) and so far I haven't noticed much difference, apart from the new login/off screens, the volume control is now horizontal instead of vertical, and ...  thats about it! (that took about 5 hours, but a lot of it was waiting for me to press buttons for keeping the Samba settings etc)
I did a clean install of B3 on my laptop last week and had no problems with it.
I am waiting for Mint to catch up before upgrading my main PC, usually about a month after release for them to repackage it with the Mint extras.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

In line with the latest X implementation, they've removed the CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to restart X.
I've put it back in - using the command line Smiley

VileReynard
Hero

Took several hours to upgrade.
(I left it running whilst I went to the schools parent evening)
Found a problem - /var/cache/apt/archives zoomed up to about 1GByte
sudo apt-get clean solves it though.

chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: afoxisevil
In line with the latest X implementation, they've removed the CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to restart X.

Mental note; Don't try things like this. It does work!!! (Centos)
VileReynard
Hero

There's an upgrade to Xorg Server 1.6.
See http://www.nepherte.be/xorg-server-16x-and-ctrl-alt-backspace/ Apparently,
This question seems to pop up everywhere now that a lot of linux distributions are incorporating xorg-server 1.6.x. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace used to restart your X server in previous versions and as a result it would log out the  active user leaving him at the login manager if he uses any or leaving him at the command line if he doesn”t. It sort of became cultural linux heritage. Even the novice linux user somehow knew this trick.

Then again, you can enable it back again by editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Adding:
Section “ServerFlags”
Option “DontZap” “false”
EndSection

Guess what I did Smiley

Santiago
Grafter

I ran the upgrade on my old lappy through the update manager after about an hour the laptop turned it self off. I restarted and logged in but just got a blank screen.
I am not the only one it seems http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1136475.
Booted through the recovery manager and it's running the new version. In the boot menu it still shows only version 8.10
Just wondering whether to do a clean install.
I have never had a straighforward upgrade experience with Ubuntu
jtn
Grafter

Hi.
I upgraded this laptop ok fom 7.04 to 7.10 no probs but haven't wanted to risk any further upgrades. I just changed over from Debian testing to ubuntu 8.10 on my desktop and that installed ok so I reckon it's time to do a fresh install on the laptop. Will prolly do 8.10 as I have the disk .
Cheers
jon 
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

I downloaded it and after 4 false burns on my new laptop had to ssh the ISO image over to the old laptop and burn it there so I could boot and do a clean install. Hmm, can't say I was impressed as my old Toshiba Satellite wanted nothing to do with it, I had to basically go into the options and turn everything off for it even to think about getting anywhere near installing. Then it crashed halfway through the install and fell back to the Live CD, but then installed OK from there.
Can't say I've noticed much difference between it and 8.10 so I'm not going to upgrade my main laptop
VileReynard
Hero

As far as I can tell, 9.04 seems to be mostly upgrades e.g. OpenOffice is now 3.0

Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: SteveA
Can't say I've noticed much difference between it and 8.10 so I'm not going to upgrade my main laptop

Neither am I.
I ended up having to do a clean install too. I tried loads of times to get the live cd to run but it just came up with loads of errors.
In the end to get the live cd to run I deleted all three partitions and then I was able to do a clean install.
Then of course I had to dick around setting up stuff again. I noticed deluge plugins are not available and I can't set a scheduler.
Is there a simple way to back up and restore Ubuntu?  Bit late now but I wish I could roll mine back to 8.10, I had it set up really nice.
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

And my "test" laptop hangs on shut down with
"System Halted" and ramps the CPU fans up to full speed.
Seems that laptops not shutting down is a big problem with 9.04.

Santiago
Grafter

Hmm. that's not happened to me yet, Funny how you hear about the bugs after you do the upgrade Sad
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Santiago
In the end to get the live cd to run I deleted all three partitions and then I was able to do a clean install.
Then of course I had to dick around setting up stuff again. I noticed deluge plugins are not available and I can't set a scheduler.
Is there a simple way to back up and restore Ubuntu?  Bit late now but I wish I could roll mine back to 8.10, I had it set up really nice.

Have you seen the disk backup option under System -> Administration -> Simple Backup?
It should backup /boot /etc and minimal parts of /var - you could use this to backup /home as well
So if you have a spare disk (or big partition) you could use this.
However, I haven't used it as a recovery mechanism - so.... Roll_eyes Roll_eyes
What are "deluge plugins"