cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu 9.04 - memory requirement

mal0z
Grafter

Ubuntu 9.04 - memory requirement

I tried Mandrake Linux a while back, but a system crash ( windows not Linux ) needed a complete reinstall.
For expediency I only put Windoze back .
I've got hold of a second - PC a 4 year old box and thought I would try Linux again - and found Ubuntu User magazine with 9.04 DVD.
That said it needed about 384MB of RAM - but unfortunately my box only has 256 M
I tried installing anyway - and it worked ok.
ALright I know it is a bit slow - but it seems to work so far - but is anyone here successfully running it on 256M ?.
I'll live with it for a while and hopefully will upgrade memory sometime soon.
I thought one of the selling points of Linux was it wasn't so resource / memory hungry
Nice to be back with Linux  Smiley Smiley
7 REPLIES 7
Waldo
Grafter

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 - memory requirement

I'm assuming you're using the GNOME desktop environment; try something like Xfce or LXDE.
Both are less resource-hungry than GNOME and can be installed from the Ubuntu repos.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You could test out http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xfce

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

KenA
Grafter

yes, I'm running 9.04 on 256MB RAM (and on a system with a 10GB hard drive).  I mainly use it to run remote desktops to other boxes on the network as I've too many for a normal KVM switch.
It seems to perform ok, though.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should be able to install Ubuntu 9.04 into 256MB RAM.
However you might consider that your graphics card might be taking a chunk out of that 256MB - so you may have less to work with than you thought !
You might be able to reduce this effect by minimizing the AGP aperture value in the BIOS.
I am guessing that you are trying to install from the full live desktop installation CD, if that continues to cause apparent memory problems, then try installing from the "Alternate" Ubuntu installation CD, as this can install onto much lower spec'ed machines - and has been reported to have worked down to 64MB !
I have been building various Ubuntu PCs for about four years now, and if I were attempting what you are describing then I would recommend downloading the 9.04 alternate installation.  You could try the current 9.10 version, but it still has a few minor issues, but the previous 9.04 has been nice and stable for me and is my favourite release.
mal0z
Grafter

Thanks for the tips.
I'm still just fiddling with it at the moment and not doing anything serious on the linux box.
I might just as well install a huge chunk of memory - it's relatively cheap after all.
cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable

Consider fitting adding an Nvidia graphics card, as the Ubuntu drivers work well and you get a good speed improvement.
For a low spec machine for playing around with, try an Nvidia 6200 (or similar), thay are about £10 or £12 on ebay.