Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu 10.10

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Ubuntu 10.10

Ubuntu 10.10 will be available for download on 10/10/10  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
http://www.geek.com/articles/news/ubuntu-10-10-in-netbook-and-desktop-editions-coming-out-on-101010-...
Note that 101010 (binary) = 42 (decimal) Grin Grin Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

11 REPLIES 11
Santiago
Grafter

Re: Ubuntu 10.10

9.10 still works very well for me so I don't think I will bother
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

It`s a linux publicity stunt for the geeks !  Cheesy
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Already using the RC thankyou very much! Wink
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: Steve
Already using the RC thankyou very much! Wink
Same here, very nice it is too.
VileReynard
Hero

I shall be using bit torrent in a few days.  Grin Grin

Waldo
Grafter

Have downloaded the Netbook Edition to try the Unity interface - never liked UNR - this looks more promising.
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I have tried many different Linux disros over the last few years but have struggled with them all. Few if any work 'out of the box' and although I have used live options (CD or pen drive) to very good effect when Windows systems have failed, up to now I have never found a Linux OS that successfully provided an alternative to Windows for everyday use. However at last there is one - Ubuntu 10.10! Every audio and video file is supported (even MIDI), and without too much difficulty I have got my scanner and printer working!
This must be the best chance so far for Linux to seriously challenge Windows.
LtdEdFred
Grafter

I love Ubuntu. I've been using it for almost 1.5 years now and I must seriously say that I have never looked back to my Windows days. I do all my playing on a PS3 and every program I need is readily available on Linux for free. I have never had any problems with drivers and most of the scanners and printers I've connected to my computer have just popped up and have been ready for service, unlike my girlfriends Windows 7 machine which need to install a whole bunch of stuff.
I never liked Vista much so when I bought a new laptop around 1.5 years ago (coincidence? Tongue ) I decided to migrate from Win XP to Ubuntu. I recently bought a Netbook which came with Windows 7 starter preinstalled. Since I now have been waiting for a proper internet connection since the end of September I haven't been able to download the Ubuntu Netbook Edition so I've been stuck with W7 and after this revisit (even though I have Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop) I must say it's nothing I miss. I'd rather say I dislike Windows. It might be a bit easier to use, but having to install so much bloatware, paying for programs, the stupid "fancy" effects of Windows 7 which really contributes nothing except from making the already underpowered Netbook a bit sluggish isn't something I miss.
Just had to rant a bit Smiley
fourfourdevon
Grafter

I am forced to agree about the software, I have got so used to just downloading whatever I want from the Software Centre and not having to pay for it, its all just there and it just works.  I can't imagine me going back to Windows ever now, expect perhaps because of work, but it won't ever be my personal desktop ever again!
VileReynard
Hero

One of Windows (all current versions) failures is in their attempt to make use of a "registry".
Talk about the Gordian knot!

Ellis
Grafter

Quote from: A
One of Windows (all current versions) failures is in their attempt to make use of a "registry".
Talk about the Gordian knot!

It's the use of a Registry that makes Windows so vulnerable, anything seems to be able to write to it. On the other hand, Ubuntu requires your password to write anything to the system and you can't run in supervisor mode.
I've been using Ubuntu for 5 years now, how I miss those silly Error messages (it's a good miss).