cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB2 Device Connected to USB3 Port

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

USB2 Device Connected to USB3 Port

It is repeatedly said, and I quote: "You can plug a USB 2.0 device into a USB 3.0 port and it will always work, but it will only run at the speed of the USB 2.0 technology"..

I have recently needed to use an old Epson Perfection 3490 to scan some early 20th century glass plate negatives for a neighbour. I installed the Epson driver and all seemed well. Windows reported that it was correctly installed and diagnostics reported that it was working. When I tried to scan the Epson scan app reported that it was not connected. 

I tried updating the driver etc. etc. I then realised that this old scanner is only USB2. Whilst I was using a USB2 cable it was plugged in to a USB3 port. I know that this cable works as I have used it recently on a printer. I also regularly use the USB3 port for both USB2 and USB3 devices so I know that this is OK.

Having tried everything else I tried plugging the scanner into a USB2 port using the same cable and bingo! All was well with the world.

Moral: don't believe things you read on t'internet.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

5 REPLIES 5
markuswelby
Rising Star

Re: USB2 Device Connected to USB3 Port

Interesting! 

Ubuntu-MATE 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) 64-bit
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You will always find someone on the Internet with something that didn't work for them with their computer for whatever reason. It does not mean that plugging USB2 devices into USB3 ports doesn't work.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I agree that most things work. The point I am trying to make is that 'always will work', should read 'normally will work'.

It took me a long time to work this out. I posted this as it occurred to me that others may wish to be aware in case they came across a similar situation.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Probably windows Wink Tongue
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran