cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB stick with write protect switch

CX
Grafter

USB stick with write protect switch

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality USB stick with a physical write-protect switch? I'm looking for 8GB to 16GB sizes.
I get computers brought to me from time to time with various "faults". Most of them can be diagnosed with a Ubuntu live USB (e.g. checking for bad sectors, fixing the disk structure when CHKDSK has decided to "save" the Windows directory by putting it in C:\found.000 etc.). It's nice to have the peace of mind that my USB stick won't be infected with whatever malware may be lurking on the system (e.g. if I miss the F11/F12 select boot device prompt and it boots into an infected Windows installation).
3 REPLIES 3
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: USB stick with write protect switch

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IMATION-Swivel-8GB-8G-USB-Flash-Pen-Drive-Write-Protect-/260938471691#vi-c...
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
CX
Grafter

Thanks.
I have the 256MB version of that Imation stick, bought several years ago and still working perfectly (although the swivel part has long since fallen off and the main body is held together with electrical tape). I never thought to search for a larger version of it since I assumed the design would have been discontinued years ago.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Well, another option is to use a small SD card reader, as SD cards have a write protect switch on them.
That's RPM to you!!