cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB problem

robertb

USB problem

Can anyone please help/ advise, my Dell computer no longer recognises my 
pen drive when I connect to any one of the four USB connectors, and  I have a photo frame which uses USB  connection but is also unable to
be recognised by my computer, I have taken the 'photo frame to the store
from which it was purchased & they were able to demonstrate that they were
able to create a connection & indeed transferred 'photos onto the frame.
I am however able to connect my Olympus camera via this same USB port to
download 'photos to my Olympus , Camedia Master Pro 'photo album program.
It seems the link/connection is faulty & needs to be recovered.
I would like to purchase further USB pen drives and other items for USB connection but am
loathe to do this in case these may not work also.
Woody2

5 REPLIES 5
alanb
Grafter

Re: USB problem

If this is MS Windows, I'd say that de-installing and re-installing the USB drivers might be a good place to start. I recall that when I had MS Windows it tended to stop recognising the USB interfaces on the computer's motherboard after certain BIOS or hardware changes. Re-installing the drivers usually fixed it.
StickyMick
Grafter

I've dealt with a few PC's that displayed the same problem with various other USB devices. Although uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers is a good place to start, you may also need to go into the registry to remove some keys pertaining to the relevant device.
If you're not confident going into the registry to do that, then leave it to a service engineer.
samuria
Grafter

Goto
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
Download the usbviewer  find the ones giving you the problem and remove/uninstall them reboot and try again. They may show connected even if they arnt this is because they were removed without dismounting and this can be a problem
Also look for any with corrupt text and delete them.
You cant normally uninstall drivers for usb devices as 90% dont have an install they are just recognized by the system
robertb

Thanks for the reply- but how does one un -install & re-install the Usb drivers.
Woody2
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: robertb
how does one un -install & re-install the Usb drivers.

As stated, using USBDeview:
Quote from: samuria
Download the usbviewer  find the ones giving you the problem and remove/uninstall them reboot and try again.

But not all devices have separate drivers, many are "built in" and so can't be removed.