Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB hub not recognised / Malfunction

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

USB hub not recognised / Malfunction

Hi
Got a usb hub which has worked fine ever since getting it but yesterday it dropped dead.
I've unplugged it and plugged it back in and windows says the device has malfunctioned. I look in the hardware manager and find unknown device so uninstall it. Unplug the hub, plug it in again and the same thing happens but with a "New hardware found" balloon.
I plug it into another computer and its fine. Just this one machine refuses to work with this hub no matter what socket it is plugged into. I'm sure the hub is ok as it works in my other machine but what would cause the machine to continue rejecting it even after I've uninstalled it!
Any ideas?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
4 REPLIES 4
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: USB hub not recognised / Malfunction

You tried a different USB port on the "bad" machine? Maybe it is that that is failing rather than the hub. Or the cable if you are using different cables.
7up
Community Veteran

Yep, tried that.
Strange thing is I've just plugged my external drive back in too and now thats malfunctioning too.
Strangely the webcam and mouse still work. Seems like it doesn't like devices which have been unplugged recently.
External drive is also like the hub, working fine on another machine.
Any ideas?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Sounds like a power issue, it has enough to power the mouse & web cam but not the hub or disk.
7up
Community Veteran

Yup it was a power issue but not the sort you'd expect!
After trawling google I found other users with the same problem. The answer?: Turn of the PC and disconnect from the mains so that any residual charge left in the motherboard can dissipate.
I left mine physically unplugged for an hour to make sure it had plenty of chance and hey presto the hub works again  Cool