cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB drive anomaly

Mav
Fixes: 515

USB drive anomaly

Plugged an 8GB flash  drive into my laptop which subsequently crashed with BSOD.
Not sure if inserting the flash drive caused the crash or just coincidence... however...
Since then inserting the same drive into the same laptop doesn't do anything except give the obligatory bleep.
It doesn't appear in Computer. I have rebooted (twice), Disabled then Enabled the USB within Devices and printers and even uninstalled the relevant driver. On re-inserting the flash drive I got the message that the drivers had been installed correctly but still no show in Computer. I have also swapped the flash with the mouse socket and the mouse conti8nued to work but no flash drive.
The same flash drive when inserted into SWMBO's laptop shows up and the folders can be opened. Inserting another flash drive into my laptop works as expected.
Windows 7 Home, 64 bit, 4 GB RAM.
So, why should this one Flash drive object to being inserted into my laptop?
Any ideas,please?
Edit: Forgot to mention that once inserted into my PC the Flash drive light flashes on/off around 8 times and changed  drive size to 8GB.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES 7
Mav

Re: USB drive anomaly

Strange thing is when the Flash drive is inserted it appears in Disk Management in the lower section but without a drive letter.
I had hoped that somehow the crash caused W7 some confusion over drive letter allocation but selecting 'Change drive letter and paths' bring up the following error.
The operation failed to complete because Disk management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk management console, then restart Disk management or restart the computer.

Have followed the above guide with no further luck.
I now think this is problem a Windows 7 issue and wondered whether a mod could move it to the Windows forum for me, please?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moved.
Looks like someone's solution was a bit drastic http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/38754-usb-stick-memory-card-not-showing-my-computer.html...
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mav

Yeah, don't really want to go down the re-install W7 route Shocked

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Could be Windows thinks its drive letter is the same as another drive (C:) that will confuse Disk manager somewhat!!
Try the USBDeview program I suggested here
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,107667.msg920127.html#msg920127
or the Device manager trick later in the same thread.
Use one of them to delete the specific device and try again.
Mav

Thanks for your reply, wisty.
I downloaded and ran USBDeview and deleted (uninstalled) every instance that the particular offending USB stick was showing up, rebooted and...
still the same.
The light on the stick flashes several times and windows displays a message that the drivers have been installed successfully yet still no show in explorer (although, as before, still shows in Disk Management albeit without a drive letter).
I still wonder if W7 is somehow confused over driver letter allocation but even trying Change drive letter from within USBDeview does nothing - not even an error is displayed.
I'm stumped.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Have you looked at this potential solution http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2001877 ?
Mav

Tried the manual fix but 'Storage volumes' wasn't showing.
Ran the Auto-Fix and rebooted and still nothing except 'Unknown device' in 'Storage Volumes' was now showing. Uninstalled this and then re-inserted the USB drive and...    voila!!
'Storage volumes' is no longer visible again so I assume that is how it is supposed to be when the drive is working properly.
A big thank you, ReedRichards, for that link and to Strat and wisty for trying to help.