cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Wifi Adapter Signal at 0%

bigzepper

USB Wifi Adapter Signal at 0%

My router's been up and running for a couple of weeks and the wi-fi signal on my laptop is great anywhere in the house. However after setting up my desktop, I've installed a USB wi-fi adapter and while it can see the network, the signal is at 0%. I was wondering if anyone hereabouts might be able to enlighten me as to why my dekstop can't get a signal whereas, in the exact same spot, my laptop can.

(I am sometimes able to briefly access the internet but the pages are slow to load and the signal inevitably cuts out again in pretty short order)

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: USB Wifi Adapter Signal at 0%

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Tech Help.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Have you got a USB extension cable.... plug the USB wifi into that and support the cable in a vertical position ( up against the wall behind the computer... ? ? ?  ) so that it is more in "free space" ...  ? ? ?  possibly on a similar level to the router to improve signal strength...

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@bigzepper wrote: as to why my dekstop can't get a signal whereas, in the exact same spot, my laptop can.

(I am sometimes able to briefly access the internet but the pages are slow to load and the signal inevitably cuts out again in pretty short order)

Bad connection, bad adapter - it happens. Try another. FWIW, 3-4 years ago I use to have a USB wifi dongle plugged into the PC. It was fine to a degree but would have its moments where it would drop out, had to reboot the PC to get it to work again. Eventually I installed a WiFi PCI card with external aerial - hasn't failed since.

Wifi can be like that. I do wonder though whether you might be battling someone else using the same channel. Download one of the many apps available and see what comes up. Round these parts for some reason the majority of routers seem to all be using around the same channel i.e. 6. Why? God knows.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@bigzepper  Welcome to the forum.

Is the USB adapter dual band and do you have a Plusnet Hub One modem/router? If yes to both try separating the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands on the Hub, see. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

Having done this you should see the two bands on your computer. Try each in turn and use the best.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

markuswelby
Rising Star

@shutter wrote:

Have you got a USB extension cable.... 

Yes indeed, @shutter could have the solution to this.........

Ubuntu-MATE 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) 64-bit
bigzepper

Thanks for all your replies:

@shutter I don't currently possess one, unfortunately.

@idonno Would the fact that I don't have any problems with the wi-fi signal to my laptop from an identical location indicate it is just the hardware that's at fault, rather than me battling with someone on the same channel?

@Baldrick1 I've only got a 2704n/Hub Zero, I'm afraid.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I can't do a link because the current version of Lithium doesn't allow me to paste from the old Ipad that I am currently using. If you search Logilink USB 2.0 Docking Extension  on Amazon you will find an extension with a base designed for the job. I have one from years back that has a magnetic base, which is extremely useful. It costs £5.82

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'