cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Port Driver Problem?

God
Grafter

USB Port Driver Problem?

I seem to have run into my first real problem on my spanky new Gigabyte P35C-DS3R motherboard. When I plug in any USB devices they are not registering properly, instead they are showing as items in 'Other Devices' in device manager. This is a vista box and I have installed the gigabyte drivers that came with the motherboard.
Anyone seen this before?
6 REPLIES 6
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: USB Port Driver Problem?

Did you replace an old mobo with this new one without reinstalling windows? I always recommend a full reinstall when you change a mobo so everything is detected properly.
Try deleting all the USB controllers, hubs and devices from device manager (or whatever its called on Vista) and get the system to re-detect them after a reboot.
Does GigaByte specifically state the mobo will run with Vista? Peraps the USB drivers (and possibly others) and not yet Vista compatible / signed.
God
Grafter

Hello Peter
Thanks for the suggestions. It is a fresh install and the mobo is Vista certified. Curiously after a couple reboots and a reinstall of the same driver it seemed to recognise items. I am going to reinstall Vista and see if I can work out at what point exactly the problem occurs.
God
Grafter

It *might* be user error I am not sure yet. I have a sneaking feeling that at one point I may have used the software off button that defaults to sleep rather than off. So maybe the PC never actually got a restart. Thats the trouble with comissioning a new PC, you pile so much software on that it is difficult to spot what causes the problem.
samuria
Grafter

My friend is the main dealer for Gigabyte and there is no known problems with the board etc. He say the most likely cause is a usb connector not on right loose or shorting so check the connections.
Is it a certain port ie USB 2 port or all. If its now working there isnt a lot of point reinstalling vista. which version of Vista ?
God
Grafter

It wasn't a hardware problem. All is now fine so it was software related. The version of vista is Home Premium. I disagree about not reinstalling I have had many occasions with both Vista and XP where system restore wont roll back for some reason or that after a rollback a problem still persists. so during the early stages of setting up a PC if I get a problem I like to go back to a known clean state.
Later I keep periodic images of the system partition with Acronis and then roll back that way if I have to.
Denzil
Grafter

This seems to be a common source of confusion with Vista. By default pressing the "Shut Down" button doesn't actually shut it down. You have to tell it to turn off in Control Panel - Power Management.