cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Issue

gswindale
Grafter

USB Issue

I have recently reinstalled Vista on my Acer laptop (using the recovery environment supplied).  I have then reapplied the Anytime upgrade to Ultimate.
Windows Update reports only "optional" updates available, however Vista is reporting itself as Windows 6.0 (Build 6000), so I don't think SP1 has been applied.
I am having problems with my USB connection in that after an unspecified amount of time, all devices connected by USB simply stop working.  No error messages are displayed and nothing is showing as amiss in Device Manager.
I am downloading SP1 now to see if that cures it, but does anybody have any other suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7
Njal
Grafter

Re: USB Issue

gswindale
Grafter

Thanks for that - so far uninstalling the USB drivers in device manager (coupled with SP1 update) seems to have done the trick.
Shame it hasn't brought my 2 rear USB ports back into life (shorted them out with a dodgy hub I believe!)
gswindale
Grafter

Nah - turns out it hasn't solved the problem
I've now double checked the event viewer in vista and have the following message from the most recent cessation of USB activity:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DriverFrameworks-UserMode
Date:          10/01/2009 16:00:58
Event ID:      10110
Task Category: User-mode Driver problems.
Level:         Critical
Keywords:     
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      gs-laptop
Description:
A problem has occurred with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated.  This may temporarily interrupt your ability to access the devices.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DriverFrameworks-UserMode" Guid="{2e35aaeb-857f-4beb-a418-2e6c0e54d988}" />
    <EventID>10110</EventID>
    <Version>1</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>64</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x2000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-01-10T16:00:58.169Z" />
    <EventRecordID>45720</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="1212" ThreadID="1568" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>gs-laptop</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <UserData>
    <UMDFHostProblem lifetime="{9B4EE0A2-DC61-4D15-80F2-C7BFDD75856D}" xmlns:auto-ns2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events" xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/DriverFrameworks/UserMode/Event">
      <Problem code="3" detectedBy="2">
      </Problem>
      <ExitCode>0</ExitCode>
      <Operation code="259">
        <Message>6</Message>
        <Status>4294967295</Status>
      </Operation>
    </UMDFHostProblem>
  </UserData>
</Event>

for what it's worth, a search on Microsoft and Google with the error message didn't give me any immediately obvious solutions.
Njal
Grafter

I've never bothered with the Vista downgrade (*) from XP, but in XP I would try:
Go into device manager and uninstall each of the USB root hubs.
Turn off PC.
Power it back up and it should find and reinstall the root hubs.
Try your USB devices again.
I assume Vista gives similar options, but have no personal experience.
Regards,
Neil
(*) Apologies to any Vista fans!
gswindale
Grafter

Tried that as well - windows automatically installs the drivers for my USB ports again.
Funny thing is, my dvd drive was throwing wobblies earlier with some home-burnt discs, but I'm now trying simply having 1 item plugged into my usb port (rather than using a powered hub) and the dvd drive seems to be ok.
Bit of a dig around on the internet seemed to suggest that Acer laptops have an issue with a chip on the southbridge that controls CD/DVD/HD/USB failing - if this is the case, then it sounds expensive.
Njal
Grafter

samuria
Grafter

try this free util
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html It lets you delete the usb devices so they are reinstalled. This is different than removing the device from device manager as that only removes devices actual connected this lets you delete the old ones which is often the problem