Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB IDE/SATA combi caddy

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

USB IDE/SATA combi caddy

Here is a tricky one..... but not a trick question....
I have a USB 2.0 SATA/IDE Combo Adapter, where I can plug in my old HDD`s to transfer files, like, the easy way!...
Great!... I have both types of HDD, but .... When I plug in the IDE drive by itself, and plug the usb connection in, I get the HDD recognised in my computer listings as the "next available" letter.... When I plug in the SATA drive (with the 12v power lead also) I only get the USB (safe removal) icon and no recognition with my computer.....
Now I did manage to get it recognise once, and transferred some files, but had to shut down and do something else. 
When I came back to the original task, the SATA drive is again not recognised..... BUT>>>
ONE TIME ONLY .... I plugged in both  the SATA and the IDE drives, and they were both listed.....
SO I plugged in a USB flash drive, in a spare usb socket, and that was listed
That gave me.....
C:\  laptop hard drive
D:\ CD/DVD player
E:\ IDE drive
F:\ partition of SATA DRIVE
G:\ partition of SATA DRIVE
H:\ USB Flash drive.....

Great !.... however this has not been repeated!.... when I plug all of them in now, this is the result
C:\  laptop hard drive
D:\ CD/DVD player
E:\ IDE drive
H:\ USB Flash drive.....

Notice... there is no SATA drive, yet the letters representing them have been missed from the alphabetical listing....
When I click on the safe remove ICON, I just get a USB device (flash drive) and the other usb device with a hdd mentioned. but not both !.
What I can`t figure out, is, If the system is not recognising the SATA drive, on it`s own, how come it is (not) listed .....
Is there some way I can "force" the recogniion of the SATA drive ?
I have tried just doing a quick unplug and plug on the usb, and also the psu side of it too, but this does not make any difference to the recognition....
10 REPLIES 10
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: USB IDE/SATA combi caddy

Does the SATA drive show up in disk manager (right click on My Computer, select manage then disk management). Sometimes Windows can get confused when allocating drive letters and allocates the new drives with the same letter as one of the other drives.
If the SATA does show up change their drive letters to something much later in the alphabet like S & T and see if they show up.
If they don't sow up try to get just those drives to show and change the drive letter, then add the other drive.
I often have USB pen drives not showing but and changing the drive letter solves the problem.
shutter
Community Veteran

No it doesn`t show anywhere, except by it`s omission from the alphabetical listing.... I changed the IDE drive from E to M then replugged the usb, but it still did not show the SATA drive......  Undecided
StickyMick
Grafter

Anything show up in Device Manager?
shutter
Community Veteran

No!... this is what I can`t understand.... it doesn`t show anywhere you would expect to find it.... yet it "appears" to be "somewhere", as the omission of the drive letters F:\ and G:\..... evidence. !  I can`t put it back in the original laptop, to see if it is working o.k. because the mobo gave up with a puff of smoke !. and it won`t fit my laptop except via the usb combo....
It is not "that" important at the moment, as I think I have managed to retrieve the majority of files and info from it, It is just a mystery, as to why it is happening, and I cannot access it... ( I did want to try and get the "sent" emails from it, and then it could be dumped/burned/hammered or whatever !)
Thanks for the brainstorming so far...  Wink
StickyMick
Grafter

The reason I asked is because I get the same behavior with my Nokia N95 when I plug that in.
When it does pop up in Device Manager it's disabled and no amount of messing about will enable it.
Do you get the USB found noise from Windows when you plug it in?
shutter
Community Veteran

Yes !  I get the Plink Plonk, when the usb combo is plugged in.... even if nothing is attached to it..... I have given up for tonight !... will get a friend who is more "into" the interior workings, to have a look at it tomorrow, and post an update..... just in case anyone else has similar problems !..
Thanks again,
pierre_pierre
Grafter

on my XP if I plug in an external, M$S pops up a screen and tries and decides what I would like to open it with, this neatly hides itself behind the other progs on screen and is not on the bottom status bar, as long as it is open, explorer cant see it, sometimes but not always if explorer is open when the device is plugged in it does show up on explorer.
Minimize items on screen and you might find the M$S waiting for you to answer what you want to open it with
shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, Pierre, I understand what you are saying, but  usually  I am only seeing the desktop wallpaper, when I plug it in, then go to WIndows explorer to see if it has shown up !...  As you say, sometimes when you have explorer open, it will not show straight away, and a close tab is needed for it to show on re-opening....
anyway, this guy tomorrow will probably sus it out !... Thanks again guys.... much appreciated for the brain work.... Wink
hulls
Grafter

This is a little bit similar.  (So I'm sorry if this is hijacking the thread a bit) My son bought an external drive at the weekend, and it was working fine on his Mac.  He then went back to uni and has had it plugged into his laptop and Mac and it was working ok (2 partitions), but he phoned today to say that neither computer will let him access the drive now.  The laptop won't see it at all, and the Mac sees it, but won't mount it, so he can't access it.
Is this because it's been used on a Mac and a PC?  If so, how can he reset it and get it working on one or the other? Embarrassed
John
shutter
Community Veteran

Update. ! !
the guy I mentioned earlier, has had his screwdriver out, and his soldering iron..... said it was a "dry joint" on the little circuit board,  It works ok now...  Smiley
cheers