cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Dongle advice, please

Mav
Fixes: 515

USB Dongle advice, please

Saturday week I'm off to residential school as part of my OU course. SWMBO is coming, too, but will have lots of spare time and wants to keep in touch with her family back in Ukraine via Skype including video.
So, I've been looking at the plethora of dongles available but none of them mention upload speed which would be important (I have a Vodaphone dongle bought almost 4 years ago and still has some credit - around £14 - but the upload speed is so slow as to make Skype almost impossible).
Does anyone have any suggestions as to provider, type of dongle, etc?
Not sure but I expect 2GB may be sufficient but if not (she will be surfing/downloading as well) can always be topped up.

I'm wondering if this from 3 is suitable. Found on another site that upload is 2MB and download upto21MB. Only want it for a week but a month contract would be acceptable - I can also cancel the contract the day I get it giving them the required 30 days.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

9 REPLIES 9
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: USB Dongle advice, please

I'd suggest checking the coverage maps for your intended location since 3G can be very good or very poor depending on coverage - different providers may be better in any given area.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Mav

It's Brighton area and it looks like the coverage is pretty good (with 3, anyway).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Mav

This from T-mobile may be a better (cheaper) option. I know their coverage isn't always great but all the sites I looked at give a caveat that their maps may not be totally accurate so coverage may be better or poorer then expected Sad

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I've used T-Mobile PAYG dongle, do they still do the £2 per day / £7 per week type of plan?  I found this excellent for occasional use, last time I used it I was offered 2 days for the price of one!
I don't suppose there's free wi-fi where you're going?
Also check ebay for 'pre-loaded' dongles or data sims, used to be some real bargains there.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Hey Mav !..... check out this,....... on your original linky...

Stock levels: We're out of stock online.
To buy this item please call us on:
0800 358 8460 or visit a 3Store.

I have a 3G dongle I bought for £20. a couple of years ago, and it used to cost me £10 for 1Gb for 30 days...didn`t use it much and at the end of the 30 days I found I still had 85% unused !...
However, I now have a Simcard from "SAMBA" mobile, that uses the 3G network.... cost me £5.... and you log in/register with them, and to gain "credit" you (supposed to) watch adverts from a choice menu..... each advert gives you the same amount of "credit".... no matter how long they are... !... I got this 6 months ago, and every day, I used to spend some time flicking back and forth from doing stuff on the home computer/laptop, and logging in to SAMBA to ( supposedly ) watch the ads to gain credit...... over the 6 months, I have now got over 6GB of credit it is FREE apart from your time working out which ads to "watch" ( lets say "play in the background" while doing other things)... Not sure when I will use the 6 GB.... but at least I don`t have to pay for my WIFI connection when out in the car, at a cafe, (with no wifi)... and I don`t have to worry about running out, before the end of the month..... IF that were to happen, you can check how much credit you have, you just spend some time topping up.... !..
There is a mention of it on Martins Moneysaving tips this week....  ( I think the sim card is now £6 ).... worth looking for future useage... ?

EDIT EDIT EDIT

here is a linky to their website......   http://www.sambamobile.com/Home/Samba
Another EDIT EDIT EDIT
you can also top up with cash
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

May also be worth looking into Mifi units.  A bit more expensive than USB sticks but you can put the device in a place for best coverage.
Mav

@shutter
Saw the 'out of stock' notice but hopeful that the local CPW or Three shop would have one if we went down that route.
Thanks for the other link but as it's really only required for 7 days and SWMBO probably wouldn't want extra hassle I'll leave that option for now.
@pwatson
Looking at this there is no difference is price between the Mifi and Dongle for both the Three and T-Mobile links I provided above.
As the MiFi is connected wirelessly to the laptop that may be great for getting the best coverage as you say.
Thanks guys Smiley

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Are you sure that there is no free wi-fi coverage for a laptop at the OU?
They provide it at MK.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mav

Yes, there is Wifi available but no mention of speeds or limits. Apart from using Skype to stay in touch she also regularly watches Russian programs and films (streamed) and may do even more so as she will spend a fair amount of time on her own in early evenings.