Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Blue tooth dongle, bit unfair!

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

USB Blue tooth dongle, bit unfair!

I'm not sure if I'm going about this right but I feel a bit robbed by the all situation  Angry
I have a mikomi cheapy USB Bluetooth dongle I think from Argos  Undecided  I recently added it on my work pc to swap photos from my samsung mobile.
Not having used this for ages I couldn't find the CD that came with it so eventually I dlownloaded Bluesoliel 6 which I remembered being the software that was with the dongle.
So anyway I learned the hard way that BS6 isn't free and they don't provide the drivers for my dongle all answers seem to head to finding the original disc which I did.
Problem being that after installing my original version it will no longer connect to my phone through Samsungs own software & I have a 5mb limit from blue soliel which disconnects after 2 pictures.  Shocked
Surely this can't be right ! How can they impose limits on the usage? The dongle is mine, I paid for it & I have the original software.
Fair enough not supporting my phone I can live with as it came out 3 years after the dongle but restricting how much I can transfer, seems a bit unfair.
Anybody came across this before? I don't actually want to use the BS software anyway, its well bloated with rubbish I don't need & to be honest I only want to use the Samsung pc studio anyway.
Is there any way I can extract the driver out of the install cd and use without running BS
All help appreciated. 
7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: USB Blue tooth dongle, bit unfair!

Anybody came across this before?

Yep, i've been caught with trying a BS new release and not having support for the older dongle ( except in trial mode ). The problem is that the software you need isnt just a driver. You need the Bluetooth protocol stacks as well. Windows doesnt have them built in and so any software ( like BS ) supplied with a dongle needs to provide them.
You MIGHT be able to completely remove BS 6 with some registry hacking , try some googling.
TBH I largely gave up with Windows a while ago and moved to Ubuntu Linux. When I tried my old Bluetooth dongle in it it just worked!!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Lurker
Grafter

I've always found cable transfer to be easier for moving pictures around.
Anyway, you have already installed the driver if its working with BS. So now the Samsung software should be able to see the BT device and use it.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Cable is much better I agree, I have a business account which only came with a 1 port router, I thought this would be a handy way temp for at work to transfer files from my laptop to the main pc in another room without having to disturb whoever was working in there. ( I know get a modem router, will do  Smiley )
That aside though I feel I should still be able to use the device as much as I want. It seems the equal of say my nvidia card which is sold by Gainward for instance, if gainward stop making newer drivers for my card should Nvidia bring out a driver that switches my card off after 5mins unless I pay for new software  Undecided
BTW james unless I'm going about this wrong the BS app needs to be running otherwise my software can't find it and even when it does the dongle seems to still monitor the usage and cut PC Studio(samsung) after the 2mb limit.  Sad
Possibly the hack mentioned would make samsung work without BS running not sure.
Searching for answers I find a lot of torrents for dodgy copies of BS & disgruntled people in the same situation, In cases like this I'm not surprised software piracy goes on.
Makers of the dongles should add the costs of supprting their hardware on to the price of the dongle  or at least have a driver that makes sure it will always work with other apps.
matt_2k34
Grafter

What OS are you using ? Windows XP or Vista ?
There not a generic bluetooth radio driver available?
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
Cable is much better I agree, I have a business account which only came with a 1 port router, I thought this would be a handy way temp for at work to transfer files from my laptop to the main pc in another room without having to disturb whoever was working in there. ( I know get a modem router, will do  Smiley )

Connecting your phone to your computer with a USB cable has nothing to do with how you connect to the internet. Wink
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Matt I'm on xp, windows has something built in but didn't work with my dingle for some reason.
Connecting your phone to your computer with a USB cable has nothing to do with how you connect to the internet

Yes I know  Smiley the two pc's only have one ethernet port apiece and ones plugged in the router. It just would have been handy as I have BT dongles to transfer files between the two pc's and upload stuff from my mobile to the pc.
I still think its a tad unfair, fair enough I'll take the old stack bluesoleil made as oppose to a newer version I'd expect to pay for their new one.
Why restrict its use though.
scootie
Grafter

Why restrict its use though

they probally called this idea somthing like future growth.  Roll_eyes
find out how to remove the limit and you will be adored around the world.
i had a simlar problem with a logitech quickcam pro 3000 not being surrported on vista and they droped the cam from there drivers and software for vista because they didnt pay microsoft to have a vist cert for the devices. did alot of seraching and found some one that had found it was simple as rediting the pid numbers in the driver files and deleteing the secruity files to each of those files you edited.
worked perfect with out any problems and found my 2002 webcam to be still out performing cams of the same money value today
for any one searching for this workaround you will find it here http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.periphs.webcam/browse_thread/thread/26fe03adc93272ca/396b34c...