cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS power cables (for UK 3-Pin Plug Transformers)...??

pawhe955
Grafter

UPS power cables (for UK 3-Pin Plug Transformers)...??

Hi all,
I am looking to replace my current (small/home) UPS that has 4 x UK 3-Pin style sockets (e.g. BS 1363) for "protected equipment" connections.... (so I can plug my "normal" power cables for PC, Monitor and ADSL Router [DG834G with transformer built into plug] straight in).
(I had a Belkin F6C120ukUNV which I was quite happy with - until I found the batteries dead 'just after' the 3-years warranty had run out, and then also found out that the batteries are not user-replaceable - and no info. on how to get them replaced...).
However, most newer/decent UPS seem to use IEC sockets for protected equipment output. So I guess I would need to buy some "IEC socket" to "IEC plug" leads - which is fine for PC and Monitor - but I can't seem to find anyone who sells IEC plug to UK BS1363 socket leads, so I can connect my router.
Has anyone else come across this situation?  Is there a reason that no-one sells that type of lead (e.g. electrical safety, etc.?).  Or does anyone know of somewhere that does sell them?  Or should I just hack a cable together myself?
thanks,
14 REPLIES 14
Not applicable

Re: UPS power cables (for UK 3-Pin Plug Transformers)...??

I tend to just hack a 4 gang trailing socket onto the end of a male IEC lead to plug in stuff using BS1363 fitment transformers.
Presumably you can buy them, but I've never seen the point, since I've always had a trailing socket to hand anyway, and thus its far faster to DIY.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You can buy an IEC plug separately which you can use to replace the plug on an extension lead, or do as I did and chop the socket off one of the extension leads and wire that in to a 4 gang extension block (I have a wired router, a wireless access point and a 10/100 switch all running off that).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pawhe955
Grafter

Fair enough.... thx.
Cheers,
chillypenguin
Grafter

I have this problem with some of the systems that I install, we just cut a IEC link cable up and fit a trailing 13A socket.
Its much easier to wire up the 13A socket than it is to wire a IEC plug, due to their size.
Chilly
Bud
Grafter

You do get 4 gang extensions with an IEC connector on it but IME its cheaper for me to get a standard 4 gang multiway and make my own than buy them ready made!
Rich
Grafter

Quote from: pawhe955
(I had a Belkin F6C120ukUNV which I was quite happy with - until I found the batteries dead 'just after' the 3-years warranty had run out, and then also found out that the batteries are not user-replaceable - and no info. on how to get them replaced...).

I have an old 'Trust' UPS in which the original battery died.  When I opened it, I found a standard 12Volt 7Ah SLA Battery.  A quick trip to Screwfix for a replacement battery and the problem was solved.
chillypenguin
Grafter

I would recommend extreme caution if you plan on replacing the batteries in a UPS that does not have user replaceable batteries.
There should not be too much of an issue getting hold of the batteries, there are many on-line suppliers or www.maplin.co.uk
But if the manufacture does not intent that the batteries are user replaceable, then you could expose yourself to the high voltages inside the UPS, and these may be present even when the UPS is switched off and disconnected from the mains.
Chilly
Rich
Grafter

Well said Chilly - I should have added a warning, perhaps I'm too used to messing with live mains voltages Roll_eyes
Denzil
Grafter

IEC plugs are rated at 10A, whereas BS are 13A. That why it is hard to find ready made IEC plug to BS socket cables. It would be easy to plug in a high power device to an IEC outlet and overload it. Making your own is safe enough, however, as long as you know how to wire a plug and you know exactly what is running from it.
notheruser
Grafter

Denzil, many IEC plugs are only rated at 6Amps, (See here for example - Bare-Wired Moulded IEC Socket Lead) though the protection ought to come from the device which you are plugging into. In other words, anything that you can plug a 6A rated plug and cable into, ought to be limited to supplying 6A. The UPS should cut out at 6A. Having said that, I know many pieces of equipment are poorly designed, and do not protect their outlets as well as they should. I'd suggest fusing down the 13A 4-gang socket, and checking that all the devices plugged into it are correctly fused.
[Moderator's note by Peter (PJ): Shortened oversized link]
chillypenguin
Grafter

I would recommending only using single or double trailing 13A sockets, not 4-gang. So that there are no spare 13A sockets that a vacuum clear or fan heater could be plugged in to.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Its OK if you have a fused socket set with the correct sized fuse in it
Not applicable

I wouldn't panic too much.
@230v, 6A = 1500W
So long as you are only using transformers plugged into it, you'll be pulling next to nothing.
That vacuum cleaner would likely be a bad plan.
notheruser
Grafter

Quote from: James_H
I wouldn't panic too much.
@230v, 6A = 1500W
So long as you are only using transformers plugged into it, you'll be pulling next to nothing.
That vacuum cleaner would likely be a bad plan.

Well actually it's 1380W  Smiley Not that it makes much odds - the maximum load on the 1200VA Belkin is 670W, so at less than 3 Amps, you'd be overloading it. My monitor takes 120W, and my PC PSU is rated at 450W (though I'm sure it's not drawing anywhere near that). Routers are very low power, as are most other peripherals, but you can see how someone with multiple drives, a powerful graphics card, and dual monitors, could easily overload their UPS. Hopefully it would gracefully shutdown, but there's no guarantee! I'd suggest that if pawhe955 can't get a UPS with 13A sockets, he would be fine with a 13A 4-gang trailing socket, fused down in the trailing socket to 3A.
Still, plugging in the vacuum cleaner or the kettle (nothing like a nice cup of tea while you're doing the cleaning!) could well end in tears - not that it would be dangerous, just that the overload could take out the electronics in the UPS before the fuse blows!