cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two routers, one ethernet and one wireless

kilburncat
Grafter

Two routers, one ethernet and one wireless

My desktop is connected to the Thomson TG585v7 router via a cable.
My old XP laptop can pick up the wireless signal nearby but it becomes Low when I take it into the conservatory, no more than 15 m from the router. I am using a Belkin G adaptor.
I was going to buy a Netgear N1 Rangemax router and adapter but I am not sure this will solve the problem, particularly as my ports are USB1.
I thought of using my old Zoom wired modem for the desktop and running a phone extension lead into the kitchen (nearer the conservatory) and connnecting the Thomson router to that, and having it high up on a cupboard.
But can you run 2 routers on the same phone line simultaneously, and what about splitters ie. where do they go?
7 REPLIES 7
newmillscomp
Grafter

Re: Two routers, one ethernet and one wireless

I would replace the Belkin G adapter first. I have seen a lot of these suffer from signal and drop out problems.
You can get a good Buffale G adapter in Argos for less than £20 and they seem to work very well
kilburncat
Grafter

Thanks but I don't think I can blame Belkin in this instance as it gives a Good signal when plugged into another laptop upstairs Huh
mal0z
Grafter

I can use a up to date HP laptop in the room furthest from the router - a distance of about 15m - and the laptop reports a "very good" signal from the Thomson TG585v7.
Is there any change of repositioning your router a little - so that there is a clearer path to the window / conservatory ?, and if necessary using a slightly longer router to telephone socket / and ethernet cable to the desktop ?. The router has slots on the bottom so you could hang it on a wall, so enabling you to raise it above window height. You only have to move the router a few meters for the signal strength quite a bit.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: kilburncat
can you run 2 routers on the same phone line simultaneously
Absolutely not!  Crazy
Does your laptop have a PCMCIA/PCcard slot? Those adapters are much better than USB wireless devices.
Also, you can run a LAN (RJ45) cable from your router to a wireless access point in/near your conservatory.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There is always the possibility of running them in bridge mode - and no I have no idea how to do it  Embarrassed
newmillscomp
Grafter

Or put the router in the kitchen and buy a Solwise home plug kit to connect the desktop
beautifulways
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
There is always the possibility of running them in bridge mode - and no I have no idea how to do it  Embarrassed

When I had two computers upstairs and one downstairs, plus a laptop (all four were wired, laptop wireless broken) I had two routers - a wired 4-port (Origo) downstairs plugged into the main BT socket, and a piece-of-junk tiscali-supplied speedtouch wireless 4-port router (would never work when used to connect) that I had upstairs connected to the main router via a 10m ethernet cable.
Neither router had uplink ports, I just plugged the cable into port 1 on each. I set up both routers to work on the same IP range (10.0.0.xx), with the ireless router's gateway set to 10.0.0.2, the IP of the main router. I think I had the computers in DHCP mode, and all the IP mapping was down to the main router - the wireless jobby was just a middle-man to relay the connection, and no - I didn't set up any specific bridge settings.... Mainly cause I couldn't find any!
With all that said, I was sent a TG585 v7 last week from Plusnet and I don't like it at all. Yes, it works, but the UI seems to be designed for those that don't know how to switch their computers on. I particularly dislike having to click "Details" on practically every page, and the lack of a "Restart DSL connection" rather than just restarting the router, or disconnecting the Internet/PPP. My Origo router (the bentley of routers where age is concerned) worked brilliantly, and I couldn't fault the pure and simple interface - black and white text, no fancy images to mess about with, just frames, tables and text. When I want information I don't want it so simple it's impossible to do anything!
Anyways, back to topic - I don't have computers all over the place now, so I just connect my computer (upstairs) direct to the router (downstairs) via that 10m ethernet cable I mentioned earlier, so I have no idea if my old "faux bridge" method works on these or not, but it could be worth a try.