cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twitter, I don't get it

Santiago
Grafter

Twitter, I don't get it

I have been following the recent publicity for Twitter and thought I will have a look at it.
I have registered an account now but I don't understand it and how it works.
I type in an answer to the question "what I am doing" and my followers can read it, except I don't have any followers yet. Sad
I looked for other tweeters, found Stephen Fry and arranged to be one of his followers.  Crazy
Today I learned that he has decided to go for a walk because he has missed out for the last two days.
Does anyone else who uses twitter care to enlighten me?
9 REPLIES 9
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Twitter, I don't get it

There are a bunch of people using twitter at Plusnet, you can see them here: http://community.plus.net/twitter-feed/
We use it to try and catch customer service issues.  A good example is using tools like this: http://tweetscan.com/index.php?s=Plusnet&u=&de=1 We can see if people are getting frustrated with our service and venting publically Smiley
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Not applicable

I wondered what it was all about too but having read the links supplied above, I don't know how you lot cope with it - I'd be collapsing under information overload! 
Anyway, I'm not sure that I want to know what folk are doing, much less me wanting them to know what I'm doing!
Do continue your experiment (and report back) Santiago, just to see if you can change my mind.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I signed up for Twitter today too, on the prompting of a friend.
Seemed to me it might be a facebook light when I'm on the move, plus it's interesting to know when Bob hasn't made the tea in PN towers  Cheesy
With twitterfox it's quite unobtrusive..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Santiago
Grafter

Ok poppy I will let you know how it goes.
I have put Twitterfox on too, you're right it's quite neat.
*What am I doing?
Well I just had dinner, flan, boiled potatoes. sprouts, green beans and coleslaw along with a big glass of water.
I am just finishing making up some email templates and then I will be going for a walk

Interesting poppy?
Be3G
Grafter

But that's the thing - you only use it if there's either something you particularly want to say, or if you know/think other people might be interested in what you have to say. I'm a big fan of Twitter, having used it to post over 600 updates during the past five months. I often use it to moan about things, which means that to the general public it's probably not very interesting - but people who do want to know about things bothering me, such as friends, do keep an eye on it. Also, one of the big things about Twitter is actually interacting with other users - that is, people replying to you and vice-versa. That way, you can get nice little conversations springing up with people, sometimes people you don't even know.
Not applicable

Not sure if I am convinced yet, although having said that, the e-mail template thing sounded interesting - would probably have responded with an enquiry about that.
Also, having a good moan sounds quite therapeutic. I must say that it is beginning to sound a bit like a journal, but without the privacy.
I wonder if it is a generation thing - younger people seem to be a bit more open about themselves than we older ones.
Santiago
Grafter

@Be3G Ok thanks for the explanation, sorry for being facetious. I think I am beginning to grasp the concept Undecided
@poppy
I get the impression that the kids are more interested in facebook,  myspace etc.
This is how I did my email templates
Be3G
Grafter

I agree that Twitter is in some respects like a journal - and part of the power of Twittter can be from the collective 'journalling'; for example, Twitter was about the first place on the internet to know about the New York plane crash, as twitterers actually saw it happen. Indeed, I seem to recall that one of the 'famous' images from that day actually came from TwitPic (a service that runs in tandem to Twitter to allow people to post photos).
I also agree about the therapeutic side. It's a bit like those situations where sometimes a stranger will start talking to you to moan about something - e.g. if you've both been waiting half an hour for a 10-minutely bus, if there's a huge queue somewhere because there's hardly any staff serving customers, whatever. Well, Twitter is very much a place for those kinds of moans - just, on the internet for all of your 'followers' to see, rather than face-to-face with a complete stranger.
Not applicable

That link looks quite interesting - bookmarked for later perusal. I have done e-mail stationery in the past and found it good fun. Did flowery scenes and one or two doggie ones. They were only fairly basic though, graphic and a bit of text.