Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn on PC remotly over the internet?

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Turn on PC remotly over the internet?

Is this possible?
What i would like to do is have the ability to turn on my P.C remotely from a remote location and then use something like remote desktop to connect to it from another location.
Ive had a faff around with wake on lan but that only seems to work when Im conected to my home router via wifi.The PC is running windows 7, and hard wired to the router  via ethernet.
11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Turn on PC remotly over the internet?

here's something that may help.. http://windows7-issues.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/wake-on-lan-wol-for-windows-7-made-easy.html
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pint
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the link, ive had a look at the site, the main issue is that it doesnt seem to work over the internet - or more importantly via a 3G/4G connection.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Theoretically (yet untried) there are two ways you could do it - both might require you spend some wonga..
1) VPN server on your network, connect via VPN and send the WOL signal
2) Buy one of those fancy routers that runs WRTDD or whatever its called, flash it to run it and then use that to run a webserver which has a php script which will output a magic packet.
3) Use a raspberry pi on your network to do the same thing as number 2.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

is it just files you want access to or to actually use the pc remotely for some tasks your mobile device isn't capable of doing itself ?
if its the former then why not get a cloud storage and access it from anywhere in the world with your registered device (like how onedrive works)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
pwatson
Rising Star

It is possible to do this with WoL but there are two steps you need to setup -
1.  Forward the relevant UDP port(s) on your router to the target machine.  I use port 9
2.  Setup a static ARP entry in the router to associate the MAC address of the target machine with it's IP address.  This is needed as the port forwarding works on IP address but the WoL packet works on MAC address.
I use a WoL client on my Android phone to turn my PC on remotely with this setup and specify the MAC address of the PC.  I don't, however, use the TG582n router and it may be that you can't setup the relevant ARP mapping.  At the very least, it will be a CLI command I suspect.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
is it just files you want access to or to actually use the pc remotely for some tasks your mobile device isn't capable of doing itself ?

nanotm, seriously, what is it with you? - Do you take notice of anything?
Quote from: pint
What i would like to do is have the ability to turn on my P.C remotely from a remote location and then use something like remote desktop to connect to it from another location.
nanotm
Pro

its a valid question as to what the intended purpose is of having remote access, without that being identified its pointless suggesting options on how to best achieve the desired result, blindly making options available that will open up a hole in network defence to provide direct access to a pc when its not necessarily the best option isn't what I would call a good idea
7up
Community Veteran

its a valid question as to what the intended purpose is of having remote access

Not really, the op has asked how to do it and told us that they want to use RD to access their PC. It isn't our business what they really want to do on their own computer.
without that being identified its pointless suggesting options on how to best achieve the desired result,

No it isn't. The op has made clear what they want to achieve.
blindly making options available that will open up a hole in network defence to provide direct access to a pc when its not necessarily the best option isn't what I would call a good idea

Nobody is suggesting this at all. The only person here that seems to be seeing some form of security risk is you!
nanotm
Pro

forwarding ports is always a security risk
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I don't, however, use the TG582n router and it may be that you can't setup the relevant ARP mapping.  At the very least, it will be a CLI command I suspect.
You can, but you're right it's a CLI command Smiley
ip arpadd intf = <{LocalNetwork}> ip = <ip-range> [hwaddr = <hardware-address>]

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pwatson
Rising Star

Indeed  Wink
npr (of this parish) has written a guide: http://www.npr.me.uk/wol.html
All this does is get the PC turned on - You'll still need to configure the method of access to use the PC.  I use Teamviewer, but other methods are available!  To use RDP you'll need to forward port 3389 to the target PC.  It would be wise to set up suitable firewall rules to limit connections to trusted addresses if you go down this route...