Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbo button

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Turbo button

Hi guys
Right this big case I got has a turbo button on it and a 3 digit LCD display.
Any idea what they're for and wil they work with a normal ATX motherboard?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
10 REPLIES 10
paulh
Rising Star

Re: Turbo button

i expect the turbo button lights up a little lamp on the front of the case Smiley
7up
Community Veteran

I gotta stop being so lazy... found the anwer on google lol
samuria
Grafter

Eh that takes me back to the good old days when all pc had the turbo. It was originally used for old programs which coudnt handle the high speed of the new computer so they set it back to match the 8080 cpu and software which could handle the new super speeds you pressed turbo.
On some they were posh and showed you the speed on a led which you could set by jumpers so it meant nothing. On later ones it did nothing but put on a yellow light 
alanb
Grafter

Oooh the old Turbo button - now that one sounds like an old XT or AT case. Is it really an LCD display, or did you mean LED.
In the early days of IBM clone PCs, a lot of clone manufacturers introduced motherboards that used faster system clocks than a genuine IBM machine. However, this caused timekeeping problems for some versions of DOS, some programs and also some expansion cards, so the Turbo button was invented to allow you to switch the system clock between standard IBM PC speed (4.7 Mz for an XT or 10.0 Mz for an AT if I recall correctly) or high speed. The display was typically used to show the clock speed, on some machines it would just display 'Hi' or 'Lo'.
7up
Community Veteran

Yeah sorry  - meant LED lol
community
Grafter

Haven't a clue what you are all talking about with 'turbos' but I wonder if you can tell me what a 'turbo' key is doing on an old computer
keyboard I have?
I have never known what it was for  Smiley
cheers
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

We had a dog called "Turbo"...... he didn`t do much either..... !  Roll_eyes
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The turbo key often did a similar thing to the turbo button on the case detailed earlier. It allowed via software to slow down or speed up the processor clock for the same reasons as mentioned earlier.
It was used in the days of 8080/8088/486DX processors that ran at clock speeds of 4.77 or 8Mhz (yes MegaHertz, not GigaHertz) where you could switch between the speeds. It has no use today except where you can map the key to a windows function / shortcut.
7up
Community Veteran

And there was me hoping it would be like the Turbo button from KnightRider or Airwolf Wink
Ah well, I'll just have to put up with it doing nothing but looking 'retro' lol
Cheers guys!
techguy
Grafter

Ah yes, those were the days